Filleting my strat

4300.2 In reply to 4300.1 
Hi Jeff, just a couple of the easy questions first:

> 1. can I specify a radius with more digits of precision
> than 2? I'm mapping to inches and the radius is 0.4375
> in some cases. It shows up in the box as 0.44

Yeah you can type in as many digits as you like - the 0.44 will be displayed when you go to run the Fillet command a second time and the edit field is showing you the value from the previous run. Numbers that are displayed in the UI like that use a setting for how many digits to display - you can adjust that under Options > General > Decimal display to make displayed numbers use more digits.

Maybe in the future I can tune this up so that it would remember that you typed in that number directly (rather than using the mouse to generate it by picking points for example) and display the same as what you typed in instead of rounding the display using the default display precision like it does now.

But anyway, if you up the display precision to use more decimal places for displaying numbers that would do the trick for now.

> 2. I'm guessing that the G1, G2, G3 are different shapes
> with adjustable bulges. Is there a description somewhere
> about the differences? I think I used G1 for the main body
> outline.

These refer to different types of continuity - G1 means tangent continuity, G2 means curvature continuity and G3 means continuity in the rate of change of curvature.

Each one of these gets kind of more complex and if you turn on surface control points in the blend you'll see that the higher continuity options require more control points to be created in the blend.

It's a rather difficult area to explain very clearly unfortunately, here is one previous attempt at explanation:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=290.2

- Michael