Sweep Questions

408.5 In reply to 408.1 
Ok - let me start over again...

> for 1 rail i can use 2 profile but there a tad iffy
>
> for two rails I cant use more then 1 profile as nothing is generated

Can you please post some examples of these problems?

In general you should be able to use any number of profiles for either type of sweep. But during the sweeping process, MoI has to associate each profile with a spot along the rail(s).

For 2 rail sweep, if you have the profiles touching the rails then it will use those touching points as the associated rail location. But if they are not touching, it will try to find the closest point to the rail and use that.

However, if you have multiple profiles and they do not attach to the rails in a consistent manner (like if they are mixed up in order or something, such as the 3rd profile attaches at a point behind the 2nd one), then that will cause the sweep to fail.

I see that some of your sweep examples here have the profiles a fair distance away from the rails, so you may be running into something along those lines, if you can post an example I can tell for sure. You can fix this up by placing the endpoints fo the profiles right on the rails to give MoI a clearer indication of which spot on the rail a profile should be attached to.

> also when using 2 rail and a profile if I have corner points that breaks up the final result as per
> the corners on say a rail
> is that normal? ie no corner points aloud ?

Well, they're allowed but yes they will currently result in the sweep being broken up into different pieces for each segment.

Eventually I should be able to improve this to work more like you expected, but probably not until version 2.0.

In the meantime to build a shape like you want there, you can cut out an equivalent segment of the circle rail, then sweep just one piece, then array that to make the full set of 8 matching pieces:

- Michael

EDITED: 9 May 2020 by FINEMA

Attachments: