Exporting problems

368.6 In reply to 368.5 
Hi JTB, I took a look at this, sorry it took me a little bit.

That error dialog is not really anything to worry about - it's not really showing an error there, just some statistics.

There are 2 different ways of labeling an object in an .obj file - one way is with "g objectname", and the other way is with "o objectname". MoI puts out both of these since some programs may use one or the other. Max is ignoring one of these, and there were 16 different objects in the file, so that's why it says "16 unsupported commands" - it's just a statistic on things that it skipped in the file which in this case is completely harmless.

As far as the normals go, the problem here is that you've got just individual surfaces there. When MoI has a bunch of individual surfaces, it doesn't know how to orient their normals so that they are all consistent. But if you join them together into a solid, then MoI will be able to make consistent normals for each surface.

Somehow some of the edges of your piece have gotten kind of a little ragged and messed up - I've attached here a version where I untrimmed the rounded pieces, and then re-trimmed them with each other and with the top and bottom piece to clean them up. Then I joined this all together into a single connected solid - this should allow it to export with nice normals.

Sometimes you may not want to spend the time to make a carefully stitched together solid, but then it will be necessary to use the normal modifier in Max in these cases. You may also be able to find some kind of "use double sided lighting" setting so the normal direction won't be so important.

- Michael
Attachments: