3570.3 In reply to 3570.2 
Hi Michael,

>He resorted to just using a text editor to merge them - one thing
>that makes that easier is to turn on the "relative indexing" OBJ
>export style from MoI, which you can do in moi.ini under:
>
>[OBJ Export]
>UseRelativeIndexing=y

I just tried that then imported a model into Simlab with welding on. Simlab crashed. With welding off however it imported just fine. Currently, the model I'm working on is listed as having about 2500 objects in MoI (about 50 or 60 named objects to export). Would be a daunting task with a text editor I think.

>It would probably not take me very long to write a standalone
>OBJ file merger utility, I'll see if I can cook something up for that
>within the next week or so, that may help you for the time being.

As always Michael, that is a very generous offer. It is something that would be very useful. I tried to write my own merging utility with little success some time back, then Googled long and hard for something ready made without any luck. Given that Marc has had a similar problem I reckon others would find this useful too. It would definitely fix one of my current issues.

>...I can forsee a lot of issues such as strange mesh formations or
>aliasing where things abruptly switch settings within the same surface.

Hadn't thought of that of course and I can see what you mean.

>A "per object" setting would be much more feasible at some point,
>it would probably need to wait until I had a good place in the UI
>to put a bunch of extra object properties.

No worries Michael, it can wait till V6 (if at all) if I can merge my objects some other way!

>It is strange that so many other programs can't handle it.

It is indeed and very frustrating, particularly when a $25 program like Milkshape can import and export obj's perfectly. It is slow doing it but dead accurate. If only it didn't have that 64k poly limitation. UV Mapper Pro can do it too but has no object merging.

Thanks again for your help Michael. I'm greatly looking forward to having access to the V3 betas.

EDITED: 28 May 2010 by MABROWN