Measuring, analyzing

3013.15 In reply to 3013.9 
Hi 3dcnc,

> I know this is wishing for alot at this stage of V2, but could
> we not have a "tape measure" button that does not draw a
> line but still shows a readout in the bottom of the toolbar.

V2 is all wrapped up at this point and getting prepared for the final release, so there won't be any new things for v2 at this point.

But also what you are describing is exactly what the Line command already does - it lets you pick points and shows a readout in the bottom of the toolbar.

So what would be the benefit of this additional tool that you are talking about here if it does exactly what the Line command is doing already?

If you don't want to keep the line like Burr mentioned above, just hit Esc or press the Cancel button to bail out of the command.

> Because I sometimes use files for CNC cutting, its a big gripe of
> mine to have additional "unwanted rogue" lines all over the place.
> It can cause problems for CAM software.

Well, you have all kinds of options to avoid that - press Esc or the Cancel button before ending the command, or you can even press the Undo button afterwards if you forgot to cancel out.

> but I struggle to see how anyone can design something for the real
> world, without being able to check basic measurments.

Well, like I posted previously there is also a basic size readout that is new in v2 which shows up when you select an object:

So just look over there if you want to confirm your object's overall size.

Most of the time if someone is drawing something precise, it is best to directly enter your desired lengths and such right when you are initially drawing the object so that you are controlling the size right from the start rather than worrying about it later on.

- Michael

EDITED: 3 Mar 2010 by MICHAEL GIBSON