Meshing problem...

2323.20 In reply to 2323.18 
Hi Grendel,

> I too have a Dell with dual quad xeons and I can't wait
> to run mesh comparison times.

I'll also add in a moi.ini switch that can be set to limit the mesher to only one thread, that would be good to get a benchmark of the new mesher with that limited as well to see how well it is scaling out to a higher number of cores.

There are also quite a lot of optimizations that improve just single-core meshing speed by a significant factor as well, so without a thread-limiter setting it won't be easy to know what factor is coming from multi-core and what is coming from the other optimizations.

It is possible for certain kinds of scalability problems to get magnified when the number of cores gets fairly large. I don't think that I should have much of that but it is hard to know for sure without actual testing on a higher number of cores, I have been testing mostly on quad core.

Are you using XP or Vista? There appears to be some tweaks in Vista to make a certain kind of multi-core scaling problem kind of go away ("lock convoys"), but I'm not quite sure right now how much that affects MoI in particular.

- Michael