Scene managment....?...

2150.29 In reply to 2150.28 
Hi TwinSnakes,

> I have no idea how the GUI would represent a constraint,
> but, seems like the toolset is there already, just need a way
> to preserve the constraints as we continue working.

Constraints are kind of a whole different area of stuff.

Normally a constraint-based program will represent them in the GUI by things like dimension lines, and let you click on the dimensions to change the values and recalculate the shape.

The recalculation can involve quite a lot of detailed stuff like extending certain parts, sliding other parts over, maintaining other constraints at the same time, etc... That involves a constraint solver and that solver part is not something that I have already available. That kind of solver mechanism is a lot different than being able to specify a line length while you draw, when you change the line length in the solver, the solver will make a lot of changes to other pieces of the drawing in addition to the line that was just edited.

I do expect to have a deeper history and parameter editing function in MoI which would let you do things like edit the control points of one of the original curves you drew and then update the model to reflect the changes (this already works to a certain degree) but that is a pretty separate thing from constraints.

I don't really expect to have constraints in MoI for the foreseeable future, that's something that you will need to use a system like SolidWorks, SolidEdge, Pro/E, etc... for that kind of workflow.

- Michael