Scene managment....?...

2150.22 In reply to 2150.15 
Hi PaQ,

> About the size info, isn't the lower tab from the MoI
> interface a better area to show this kind of stuff ? somewhere
> close to this

There isn't really any room left down in there for something wide like that - on a 1024x768, or also even a 1280x1024 screen with large fonts, that bottom row is pretty much full right now already.

Eventually I will probably need to do something about this, and have things like some optional controls that only appear when you have more room down there on your particular screen (a user editable toolbar where you could drag and drop buttons to could work well for this). But so far I have tried to avoid doing that and have attempted to have just one UI that works with all screens right now.

> For me the upper right place is a really important place
> in MoI, where every tools options are showed, and I think
> the size info is not something really 'primary'.

That properties stuff I showed in that upper-right area only shows up when you are not in a command, and therefore have no command options being displayed. It's pretty much the main blank area that I have to leverage that works on all screen resolutions.

Just like it shows the "tools options" for the active tool, think of it as showing the "objects options" for the currently selected object when you are in selection mode before starting a command.

Anyway that's the other logic behind having the stuff that can change depending on what is selected (which includes size readout) all be in one location there.

> Will style include shade mode (wireframe, solid, solid + wireframe
> etc), transparency, specular etc etc ? ...

Eventually yes, but probably not for v2.

> I mean is it some kind of surface editor that also include dx
> shader like for example world image reflection, toon shader, etc.

It won't have that kind of an editor in it yet - think of it more as an overall mechanism and area of the UI that will hold such things when they are added in the future.

Those will become additional tabs on the left side, to control those additional properties.

Then a "Style" is a bundle of all those possible properties, so that you can set up a kind of property template and apply numerous properties (all relating to visual display) in just one click.

I'm thinking that probably there will also be a "Styles" section in the scene browser tree view thing as well, which hopefully can use the same mechanism for groups for hiding / showing / selecting objects that all have a particular style easily.

> A thumbnail system that will show the style look would
> be sexy too (if I really understand what styles are)

Yup, I would like to do that eventually, like show a small curve or cube or something in there instead of just a color swatch. For v2 I think it will just be a plain swatch though.

- Michael