Object properties progress

2127.26 In reply to 2127.25 
Hi Steve,

The full suite of "object organization" tools will definitely span several beta releases. The object properties stuff is just one part of that.

Object properties may itself span more than one release but if possible I would like to have this part of the object organization tools largely wrapped up first before going on to the scene browser part.

> I would need to ask, is this just an idea you are putting forward,
> or is this post based on work you have already done.

Well, it is kind of both, it is more of an idea than a lot of working code at the moment, but that does not mean that it did not require a bunch of work and iterations on several ideas to arrive at this current idea.

> If the latter, then would feedback against certain parts of such
> an implementation make you make a U turn and start again?

Yeah, that is one of the reasons that I posted it. If it seems like it is not going to do the job properly, or if someone has a better idea of a completely different direction, now is the time to present that.

If I wait to show it to everyone only until after I have done all the work for it and it is all finished, then at that point doing a U turn involves throwing away a considerably larger amount of work which is not efficient.

Sometimes it can be necessary to throw away things and start again, but I prefer to do that more rapidly in the earlier stages of something.

I can understand that it is only possible to do a really proper full analysis and critique of something when you have a working implementation in front of you. But it is a huge gain in efficiency and time management to get at least some analysis going (based just on imagining the process as described) before a full implementation is done.

Basically the more that I start out on the right track can help to avoid problems.

- Michael