Experiences of Moi3D

1813.6 In reply to 1813.1 
Hi Francesco,

you wrote:
> <...> from other similar software?

I guess it would help a lot if you could describe what you considered to be "similar" software.

I mean, would you consider any program that does 3D modeling to be similar to each other?

I could understand why that might seem to be logical, but it doesn't really work like that because there is a very very wide range of purposes that people build 3D models for.

For example, someone who is working on constructing a space telescope may want to build a 3D model of a lens to be used in the telescope, and they will need to have very detailed control over the physical properties of how the lens interacts with light, a very high degree of accuracy is required in this type of modeling.

Then all the way on the other side of the spectrum could be someone who is building a 3D model that will be used for special effects in the next Spider Man movie. This person doesn't care at all about the physical accuracy of their model, they only care about how the animation looks on the movie screen.

Those are kind of the 2 extremes, and it is difficult to give you information specific to your particular case unless you give some more information about what you wish to accomplish with your 3D models.

MoI is in a unique spot, that it is kind of a blend of some of these different areas - it has a technical / accurate modeling type of toolset, but with an interface that is designed to be easier to use than regular technical modeling programs. So it is kind of like a technical CAD program that can be used by artists to do industrial or man-made type objects.

This is a lot different than other CAD programs, normal technical CAD programs are designed to be used by engineers and usually require a large commitment like going to training courses, etc... in order to learn how to operate the software because they are very complex.

But MoI is also a lot different than animation or movie-effect oriented software, which tends to be focused on building creatures, monsters, faces, and characters, and actually those programs have a lot of difficulty doing man-made or industrial type objects instead of highly organic sculpted ones.

MoI is unique because it packages those kinds of CAD tools with a modern and artist friendly user interface.

I would definitely recommend using the trial version, it should give you a much more clear picture of the benefits of MoI rather than just anything written here.

It is a bit difficult to describe the benefits because it is not only just one single thing that stands out, it is more like many many (dozens and dozens) of smaller things in the way the user interface works that makes MoI so nice to use.

The overall effect is that many people get a lot more of a feeling like it is fun using MoI rather than something that they have to fight against when using it.

- Michael