Few queries

1246.4 In reply to 1246.1 
Hi abhayvir, I'm glad that you like MoI!

> #1 How do I enter precise dimension for my modeling projects...e.g How do
> i create a box of X mm : Y mm : Z mm etc.

Commands will generally show options in the upper-right area of the window, and that's where you can enter exact dimensions.

So for a box, after you place the corner point, if you look in the upper-right options area, you will see this:

You can click on either one of those and then enter a number to set a precise width and height value. After width and height are filled in, that option area will change and you can enter an extrusion value there.

When you see numeric options like this in the upper-right area, you can also just type characters right away without clicking anywhere. So for instance if you want to create a box with dimensions of 4 x 5 x 10, you would do this:

Start the Box command.

Click the first corner point.

Type in "4" (no need to click anywhere) you will see the 4 go into the "Width" field.

Press Tab to go to the Height field, and type "5" and press enter (or tab works ok too).

The prompt will change to Extrusion: type "10" and press enter and you're done.

When you want to place a point at a specific x,y,z location, you can either click in the x/y/z control in the bottom toolbar (just to the side of the Split/3D/Top/Front/Right view controls), or you can also just type in numbers and you will see them go to that control in a similar way as above.

There is also a distance and angle control below the x/y/z control that lets you control the distance and/or angle of a point in relation to the previous picked point.

> #2 I also noticed that my models when exported in .obj are triangulated why is it so.

I'll need some more info to help you on this one - first, what is your "Output:" control set to when you are exporting? Also, what program are you exporting to? Some do not handle n-gons and may convert n-gons to triangles on import.

> #3 I use wings 3D as one of my modeling tools...it does not import .obj exported from
> MOI (it crashes)...any ideas why.

It looks to me like a bug in Wings3D. Could you please send them a bug report and see what they say?

> #4 Does MOI have support for material/ UV Mapping for its models. How is it done...

MoI will automatically apply UV mapping coordinates to all objects, which will follow each NURBS surface. For version 1.0 of MoI there isn't any way to further edit the mapping or apply different materials, for now you have to do that in a rendering-oriented program. I do plan on adding this in to MoI in the future though.

Hope this helps!

- Michael
Attachments: