Report : bugs & another abnormal features

1144.9 In reply to 1144.6 
Hi Lish,

> Why you said MoI is not for thin-wall-shell modeling if one day the geometry
> library will work fine ?

I was talking about the current version of MoI, and the versions for the next several years.

I do expect that there will be progress in improving the geometry library, but it will take time before that happens.

In the meantime there are other systems out there that have spent quite a bit more effort in making more complex thin-wall shelling work so if you need to do such modeling now, one of those other programs will work better for that.

> Have you another reason ?

Well, it is also not really one of my goals for MoI to become an exact replacement for already existing systems. I am more interested in developing MoI in new and different areas instead of trying to exactly copy other programs that are already good at what they do.

Sheet metal design, for example - I don't really expect for MoI to really ever be focused on that specific kind of manufacturing work. There are already programs out there that have focused a lot of effort on that area, it just doesn't make sense for me with my very limited amount of development resources to try and duplicate all the features that would be required for sheet metal design.

MoI is simply not going to be the right tool for every single kind of existing CAD / Manufacturing work.

That's why I generally say that if you need something that works exactly like Pro/E or SolidWorks, you should get Pro/E or SolidWorks for that, not MoI.

But that does not mean that MoI is not useful for manufacturing-related work - MoI can be useful in the earlier stages of manufacturing design work where you just want to quickly draw things instead of do a more rigorously planned final design for manufacture.

- Michael