MOI + SubD or not?

1048.7 In reply to 1048.6 
> What about NURBS for exterior architecture? For interior? Faster than SubD?

It is a little hard to say absolutely without seeing some actual models.

For some kinds of things there are specialized tools that are neither NURBS nor SubD that are tuned up for constructing specific types of objects. Architecture is an example of this - there are special modeling tools focused just on producing architectural designs which have things like a window tool, a door tool, a roof making tool, etc... If you want to create something that falls within the area that such a tool was designed to create, then that will be faster than any kind of general purpose modeler.

As far as choosing between a general purpose NURBS and SubD approach, I would say NURBS would be generally be a better match, it will more closely match a kind of "draw from blueprints" type approach.

In fact, that is not a bad way to also describe the difference - if you can imagine a technical specification for a shape being drawn on a drafting board, that will usually mean it has the distinct kinds of profiles and well defined forms that work well with NURBS tools.

> So - if I wanted to make one of the Transformers from the movie - your description
> makes it sound like NURBS would actually be the only way to go for speed and accuracy...

I would have to take a closer look at how they were shaped.... It's possible they may have a lot of "character" elements in them as well, like don't they have a kind of face on them?

- Michael