V5 Wish List

10114.6 In reply to 10114.5 
Hi Mauro, well for filleting it's a difficult case. A strong fillet engine isn't made by executing a single algorithm well, it's done by recognizing and handling a large number of special cases and corner configurations. That's something that takes a long sustained effort like 30 man years of effort before it's very good.

I can fix some individual bugs in the current filleter, and in fact I did fix a couple of them near the end of v4 (at a time cost of several weeks of focused work for each one). But since I don't want to work for 30 years on just that one area it's not really feasible for me to make a complete new fillet engine myself, it's something that I need to license from an existing library.

I have already spent several months doing in depth investigating of 2 different libraries so far, one of them did not pan out because although it had a strong filleter it was very sensitive to slight deviations in geometry like say a 0.1 degree deviation off of tangent on the seam of a closed surface. That made it difficult to guarantee a totally reliable data transfer into it. The other library was promising but seems to have fizzled out and isn't dedicating the large time investment needed to get filleting in particular up to a high standard.

There is another one that I would like to investigate too though, but since it is a fairly time consuming area of work I'm not sure when that will happen.

re: Blending tools - no unfortunately the IntegrityWare kernel does not have a very reliable mechanism for that. That's something that could also come from another library but it hasn't really been a big priority because the type of "patch filling" workflow where it would be used is just an overall delicate modeling strategy that has a very high learning curve. It's something for very advanced highly technical users, which is not overall a primary target area for MoI.

In general sub-d modeling has a better workflow for difficult surfacing than patch-by-patch NURBS modeling, and so that will probably be more of a priority. In fact the fundamental basis for this is already in place in MoI v4 with the SubD to NURBS conversion function that is working right now.

If you need improvements in these areas then a practical way to do that is to use other CAD tools in combination with MoI. It isn't very practical to expect that a $300 tool made by one person is going to completely replace every other CAD tool and do everything especially in niche areas for very advanced users.

Having said that I would like to make improvements in these areas but it is difficult to know the timeframe. The primary focus for MoI is more on things that I am able to actually innovate in like having quick fluid workflow.

- Michael