V5 Wish List

10114.355 In reply to 10114.354 
Hi Psygorn,

re:
> <...> I wanted to know if we could expect live Booleans or other live operations (such as live filleting live chamfering) in Moi 3D?

I'm not sure - at some point I want to work on a deeper history mechanism that could do this type of thing but I'm not sure when that will happen. Probably not in the near term.

> He (Nick Kallen) creates a cylinder and then tweaks the top circle and the shape gets instant updated.

If you want to create a tweakable cylinder you can do that currentlly in MoI by drawing 2 circles and then doing a Loft between them. MoI's current history mechanism will update the shape as you tweak either the top or bottom circle with that set up.

But in general MoI is based more on the concept that if you want a particular shape you should construct what you want directly and not draw in some other different shape initially and then mutate it.

So if you want to make a shape that is a cone with different top and bottom radius values, then just construct a cone with different top and bottom radius circles instead of creating a cylinder first.

You can either create 2 circles and loft between them or draw in a sloped line in side profile and use revolve.

re:
> 2- I wonder if this feature could be achieve by sweep method as a default I mean for example
> when a user creates a cylinder in Moi 3D using "Draw Solids" menu, Moi creates a cylinder
> using a base circle and then sweep it all the way up to the point user wants, so, when
> the user tweaks either circles or even at the ends the shape gets updated)
> What are your thoughts Michael? Could we expect such features in Moi?

You can already do it in MoI right now, draw 2 circles and loft and tweak the circles and the loft will update.

> I mean I think when we draw cylinder using "Draw Solids" menu the cylinder is created using
> extrude method (I think) . Could you change it to sweep method then tweaking it would be
> easier per say ?

Well the draw cylinder command is what you use when you want to make a cylinder. If you don't want to make a cylinder then don't use that command, use loft or revolve either of which allows for adjusting the input curves and having the shape update.

- Michael