V5 Wish List

10114.256 In reply to 10114.254 
Hi pafurijaz,

re:
> Hi, I would have a request for the next version and it is the possibility of also being able
> to measure the radius of beziƩr or cubic curves, not generated by a circle, <...>

Moi's radius dimension is designed not to do that because it can be dangerous. It's too easy for someone to mistakenly think that a curve that looks similar to a circle is actually an exact circle and then put a dimension on it not knowing that the radius is not constant across the entire length of the curve.

> since the representation of the circles with nurbs is always an approximation

This is not correct, a NURBS curve can exactly represent a circle without approximation, that's why it has "weight" values as part of it's formulation. The weights (which give the "R" part of NURBS for "Rational") give NURBS curves the ability to exactly represent conic sections.

> as can be done with other programs CAD where the detected dimension is dynamic and changes with
> curvature and also the detected center moves dynamically.

Is there any CAD program other than Rhino that behaves that way? I just tested with ViaCAD for example and it does not put a radius dimension on a general spline curve.

I would think that's probably an unusual function specific to Rhino because normally a radial/diametric dimension should indicate an arc or circle curve and not a general spline curve that only happens to have the indicated value just at that point location.

- Michael