V4 beta Oct-10-2019 available now
 1-20  …  161-180  181-200  201-220  221-233

Previous
Next
9526.201 In reply to 9526.200 
Hi nameless, re: mouse wheel - currently if you hold down Ctrl and use the mouse wheel it will take a smaller step size than the regular one, is that what you mean? There isn't currently any way to adjust the speed in moi.ini though.

Also the history bug looks like a regression in v4 - v3 seems to behave properly. So that might also help me to track down the bug.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
9526.202 In reply to 9526.201 
Wow, I fished a V4 specific bug?! :)

I temporarily solved the other issue. I used a free program called XMouseButtonControl (which I recommend!) that lets you customize all aspects of mouse behavior and has program specific profiles. So when I load MoI, my scroll has the Ctrl modifier attached. Seems like an awesome utility. Now I can navigate my tiny MoI Viewport without teleporting!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
9526.203 In reply to 9526.20 
Hi Michael,

great features, the Area and Volume Details help a lot!

A nice feature would be to be able to define different units for them. Engineering designs are in mm (in Europe) but we purchase materials e.g. in liters (dm3) or m2 or calculate the weight based on roh in cm3 or need volumes in m3 as it's a standard unit for calculations. Of course we are all able do the math but it would be a nice-to-have.

S.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
9526.204 In reply to 9526.203 
Hi skipper I'm glad the area and volume calculations will be helpful!

I do want to enable switching those to different units like you're asking but it probably won't get done in the v4 time frame.

Thanks, - Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
9526.205 In reply to 9526.204 
Hi Michael,

Could object scale place a cap on the number of polys I can get during .obj export? I have a solid that seems to be unaffected by anything smaller than 3 decimals (in divide larger than field of the exporter). I usually can ramp up the resolution, but now it caps at 400k polys. :O
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
9526.206 In reply to 9526.205 
Hi nameless, yes if the polygon edge length goes much under the regular modeling tolerance level it will start to consider points to be too close together and not refine them further. The standard fixed modeling tolerance level is 0.001 units. It's not so good to make objects that are going to have features that are around or smaller than that size.

In general it's best to avoid using a unit system that makes you have numeric values that are smaller than around 0.05 units or so in size like you are doing here. Instead of using meters with some model features around 0.0001 in length like you have it I would recommend having units = centimeters for this object.

I am trying to convert things that use a fixed tolerance to instead use a fraction of the object's bounding box size so that it can adapt to objects with unusually large or small object sizes but I think it is too late in the beta release cycle to attempt to do that for meshing right now.

There are other things that will not accommodate really tiny objects very well like .obj format for example writes out coordinates in a text file and so you would need to bump up the number of decimal places used for the text representation of coordinates with such small object sizes.

There also may be just a general loss of precision for numeric calculations when objects have very large or very small numeric values.

One thing to note is that whether an object is considered unusually large or small is about how many decimal places are used in its coordinate values, like if you have values of 10000000.0 or 0.000000001 , regardless of what the current unit system is set to.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
9526.207 In reply to 9526.206 
I see! Thank you for explaining it in such detailed manner. Is the weird topology that I am attaching during export of a simple cube, symptom of small scale?

In addition, I just realized that I can use the scale factor option on the Import/Export preferences and equalize things that way instead. That should have been my first move to begin with...
Image Attachments:
Size: 984.9 KB, Downloaded: 76 times, Dimensions: 1729x1101px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
9526.208 In reply to 9526.207 
Hi nameless,

> Is the weird topology that I am attaching during export of a simple cube, symptom of small scale?

Yes, I think so.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Michael,
Probably been asked before just cant find it in the string of posts - is the dimensions tool going to have a global preference for document used in terms of font size and general dimensions prefs. Something you can setup for the document your working on and it keeps those preferences as you work on new dimensions for that doc. You could be working on a large or small scale documents independently.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
9526.210 In reply to 9526.209 
Hi Alex,

> is the dimensions tool going to have a global preference for document used in terms
> of font size and general dimensions prefs.

Yup, that's pretty much the next thing that I'm working on. Once it is in place I'll release a new beta.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
thanks for the update - looking forward to next realease.
regards
Alex.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Michael,
Just did a fresh install of WIN10 latest build on my workstation and just installed MOI4 when I go to export STL or OBJ the shape polycount comes up but the MESHING OPTIONS window does not and just hangs there. All other export modules work fine. Is there any other software which this could be reliant on and needs to be installed.

thanks
Alex.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
9526.213 In reply to 9526.212 
Hi Alex, no there isn't any other software that should need to be installed. Is your screen maybe a different resolution and it's off screen?

What happens if you edit moi.ini and delete the "DialogLocataion" line inside the [Mesh Export] section? :

[Mesh Export]
<....>
DialogLocation=946,375

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
thanks it had negative values - I deleted and now AOK.

All the best for 2020.

regards
Alex.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
9526.215 In reply to 9526.214 
Hi Alex, that's great I'm glad you're up and running again! I will see if I can ignore coordinates like that. I think that could happen if the moi.ini file was created on a system with a different multi-monitor layout than your new system.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
9526.216 In reply to 9526.215 
Hello,

When will the new version of MOI3D be released?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
9526.217 In reply to 9526.216 
Hi hunter, there should be another beta out within a few days I hope. There will still be one more beta after that before the final one. There is still some stuff to finish up with dimensions.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
9526.218 In reply to 9526.215 
Hi Michael, On my main workstation I have 1 34inch widescreen as my main screen - replaced 2 screens but I use a wacom touch screen which is positioned below the widescreen so a little different to your horizontal multi screen setup. I would say as the widescreens come down in price multiscreens setups will drop off not having a join in the middle is so much better.

thanks again.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
9526.219 In reply to 9526.218 
No way I would replace my multiple screens with a wide screen. 2 screens give me 2 distinct areas that I can maximize windows to. 4 if using Windows+Arrow-Left and Windows+Arrow-Right.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Michael,

I apologise if this has already been discussed. I use MoI for exporting CAD via LWO to Modo. It's great! But I've noticed in the V4 Beta that I'm getting a lot more problems with flipped polys in the export mesh than I do in V3.

Ideally I would just use double-sided materials in Modo/VRay but then there's problems using rounded edge shaders because of the surface normals, so I have to go and flip any problem polys by hand (which can take a long time!)

Cheers,
Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  …  141-160  161-180  181-200  201-220  221-233