V4 beta Oct-10-2019 available now
 1-20  …  101-120  121-140  141-160  161-180  181-200  …  221-233

Previous
Next
Hi Michael,

In MOIv3 if you go and change an objects dimensions the starting position for the prompt was at the beginning of the field but now for some reason in V4 when I go to make a change it defaults to the end of the input field so I have to backspace to clear that field.

Thanks
Alex.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
9526.142 In reply to 9526.141 
Hi Alex, how exactly are you activating the input field, is it by pressing the Tab key? Clicking on it? Or just typing keystrokes immediately after opening the edit size menu?

Thanks, - Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Any suggestions for a screen capture format or program that I can use to display problem?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
9526.144 In reply to 9526.143 
Hi Alex, I use Camtasia from TechSmith for screen captures. There are some free ones out as well though.

It may be enough if you can just give me a little more step-by-step description though.

What is supposed to happen is after you open the menu if you just start typing your keystrokes should go into the first field, replacing what was in there. If you push the Tab key focus is supposed to go into the first field and all the text in it is supposed to be selected so when you start typing it will replace it.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Michael,

Here is capture when I go to change the size fields by default it goes to end of the entry rather than the beginning if I tab select it does go the beginning.

I have removed MOIv3 from my computer and starting using v4 full time when I used click on the field in V3 it would go to the beginning of the field.

any suggestions welcome - thanks Alex.

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
9526.146 In reply to 9526.145 
Hi Alex, so that's working as it's supposed to - when you click on the field it goes to whatever location you clicked on. If you click in the middle of a number it goes in the middle, if you click past the end it goes to the end, like this:

That's just the standard behavior of most edit fields on the computer in general. For example here in my web browser I click past the end of the text in the google search field, it's the same behavior:

Here is how it works in V3 over here at least, it's the same:

There are a couple of different things you can do though, if you double click anywhere on the field it should select everything in the field so that when you start typing the existing text will be replaced.

If you want to input a new value into the first field it isn't necessary to click on it at all, just start typing without doing any clicks and your keystrokes should go to the first field replacing any existing content.

You can also use the Tab key to put focus into the first field which should select all the text so that your next keystrokes replace everything.

If you want to go to the second field you can push Tab twice, the first time it will go to the first field and then the second Tab will move to the second field, again all the text should be selected so whatever you type next should replace it.

Is it possible that you had modified your V3 so it behaved differently from the standard installation? If you like you can edit the file EditSizeMenu.htm inside the ui subfolder in the install folder, and replace all 8 instances of TextInput with NumericInput. That will then make those fields pop out the little menu with number buttons on it like a little calculator and with that control instead of a plain text control it will select all text when you single click on it like you're doing.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
HI Michael,

Thanks again for your tireless support - this explains the difference in my previous workflow.

"If you want to input a new value into the first field it isn't necessary to click on it at all, just start typing without doing any clicks and your keystrokes should go to the first field replacing any existing content."

MOI plays a big part in my workflow and have become used to its speed and in many aspects and dont think what I am actually doing when I am modelling but the above action you described is where something has changed from my previous install when I start typing the dimensions I need they get added to the end of the input.

No problem just something new I need to get used to - working with MOI4

Here is current project completed using MOI.

Initial shape modelled in MOI taken into Zbrush finished in Zbrush outer body converted back into nurbs and steel frame designed for manufacture all in MOI4.
The exploded and cutaway views are MOI PDF exports really nice images generated for documents then taken into illustrator for finishing.

EDITED: 26 Jan 2020 by ALEXPOLO

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Michael,

Very long time since my last post on this forum. ;-)

I noticed a small bug (?) in V4 beta when exporting to OBJ format. If you choose the display to be "wireframe" before exporting, MoI displays the object as "shaded + edges". I don't remember if it was already present in the previous betas.

Schbeurd

Happy MoI user since beta version of August 13 2006...
Image Attachments:
Size: 58.3 KB, Downloaded: 59 times, Dimensions: 680x476px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
9526.149 In reply to 9526.148 
Hi Schbeurd, yeah it's been a long time, welcome back!

That definitely looks like a bug, seems to be a casualty of the new display engine that can now keep data resident in VRAM instead of always streaming it.

I'll see about fixing it up, thanks for reporting it.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
9526.150 In reply to 9526.139 
Ok, Michael. Thank you!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Michael,

I know you're hard at work and I shouldn't ask...

But would it be possible, in the Display Options of the Annotation Properties, to have a selection for "Above Line Screen Aligned"?

It could come in handy for small measurements.

Thanks
Terry
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
9526.152 In reply to 9526.151 
Hi Terry,

re:
> But would it be possible, in the Display Options of the Annotation Properties, to have a selection for "Above Line Screen Aligned"?
>
> It could come in handy for small measurements.

How would that work though? Like where would you expect the text here to be positioned? :

There is another thing that I want to add which is for dims to have points show up that you can turn on with Edit > Show pts and one of the points would be for the text to allow you to drag it to a custom position.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
9526.153 In reply to 9526.1 
Hi,

Very cool to see dimensions and editable text.

Been quite busy lately and haven't read all the comments.
Show points doesn't seem to work on dimensions.

It would be cool when exporting to PDF to have the option to set dimensions according to font size.
Let's say you want the font at 8pts, the rest of dimensions would scale accordingly.

Great work on the details panels, the selection filter is very interesting, quite flexible panel.

Will you consider implementing simple dashed lines in this version ?

Thanks,

Marc
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
9526.154 In reply to 9526.152 
> How would that work though?

That's a good point. I guess it would be more of a perpendicular offset rather than "above". I like your idea better though!

Thanks Michael.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
9526.155 In reply to 9526.154 
Hi Terry, could you maybe show a sketch of what you were thinking of originally?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
9526.156 In reply to 9526.153 
Hi Marc,

re:
> Show points doesn't seem to work on dimensions.

Yup, just not finished quite yet.

> It would be cool when exporting to PDF to have the option to set dimensions
> according to font size.
> Let's say you want the font at 8pts, the rest of dimensions would scale accordingly.

Yes, if I understand you right that's what I'm going to be trying to do as the default method. Like if you set your font to 8pts it should show on the screen at 8pt size and on the PDF page it's also 8pts high there as well.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to introduce a model units sized option as well though.

> Great work on the details panels, the selection filter is very interesting, quite flexible panel.

Thanks! This should be a good place to stash a lot of other stuff in the future as well.

> Will you consider implementing simple dashed lines in this version ?

Sorry no, that would delay v4 too much longer. That will have to wait until after the v4 release.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
9526.157 In reply to 9526.155 
Hi Michael. I guess I was thinking something like this. The annotation would be screen aligned but offset perpendicular to the arrow line.

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
9526.158 In reply to 9526.157 
Hi Terry, thanks, I see. So I think the problem with that is when the text has more than just a couple characters in it, it's going to kind of force the text quite a ways off.

Once you can rearrange the text to a custom position by using Edit > Show pts on it then you should be able to get that kind of result.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
9526.159 In reply to 9526.158 
> Once you can rearrange the text to a custom position by using Edit > Show pts on it then you should be able to get that kind of result.

I agree completely.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
9526.160 In reply to 9526.156 
Hi Michael,

"""""""""If you set your font to 8pts it should show on the screen at 8pt size and on the PDF page it's also 8pts high there as well."""""""

Awesome !

Concerning dashed lines I thought it would be easy to do because you showed them early on in your process.
I guess it's more complicated that it looks. I was thinking of users who doesn't rely on other programs to edit PDF.

Marc
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  …  81-100  101-120  121-140  141-160  161-180  181-200  201-220  221-233