Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
945.4 In reply to 945.3 
Hi Lish, it looks like the different parts don't quite match up exactly at the pole area:

Normally it isn't necessary to make things touch exactly for Network, but it looks like things are more sensitive in this type of configuration where several things come to touch one single point. If I edit these curves to make them touch right at one point there the Network is successful.

I'll see if I can tune this up a little bit so it isn't quite as sensitive.

But actually for a bowl shape like that, Rail revolve may be a better choice. Rail revolve is kind of like regular revolve in that it takes a profile and rotates it around an axis. But you can give it a custom shape for the revolve path, so it can fit along an ellipse like you've got there.

To use rail revolve, just use one of those 4 small pieces and select it:

Then run Construct / Revolve / Rail revolve, and pick the ellipse as the rail. For the axis, pick the first point at the end of the short curve, and then the second one snapped along the z axis above it:

That will create this bowl shape (here I turned Cap ends off before finishing picking the axis):

The nice thing about rail revolve is that it uses fewer curves to create the surface - generally when you have a smaller number of curves to manage it can be a bit easier to control things.

You might want to use Network if you wanted to have something less symmetrical with more of a bulge on one side or something like that...

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
945.5 In reply to 945.3 
Hi Lish, I have tuned up Network so can take more stuff that doesn't come quite exactly to a common point like this , you can get a patch here if you want to try it: http://moi3d.com/beta/Sep4_patch1.zip

But that separation at the tip tends to make a kind of messy resulting surface right in that point area, so I'd still recommend tuning those curves to touch more exactly, or using Rail Revolve.

Thanks for reporting the problem,

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-2  3-5