Layers sugestion by steph
 1-18  19-22

Previous
Next
944.19 In reply to 944.18 
I am well aware that I am only one user and that anything I say here is purely selfish ...
but ... I really need MoI to have a layering system that is fully compatible with Rhino.

I really like modeling with MoI but its use is restricted for me as once a model gets a little complicated with numerous parts I can't really make if function without layers. My working tools not only include Rhino but rendering programs that work within Rhino and depend on the layering system.

I know, I know ... there are rendering programs perfectly compatible with MoI that I could switch to.

Now I use MoI for parts that I can transfer to Rhino and then assign them to the appropriate layers there. Once that is done any editing had best be done in Rhino ... if the editing is done in MoI the layering properties are lost.

So, again very selfishly ... I hope that Michael is able to find a way to assign properties to MoI objects that will transfer easily to our other favorite programs ... maybe not possible but that is my wish!

cheers,
eric
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
944.20 In reply to 944.19 
Hi Dale, hi Eric - this whole area is still not all set in stone, but I think that there will probably be 2 kind of separate pieces to it.

One will be that you will be able to assign a "style" to an object (or selection of multiple objects) which will control the visual appearance of the object, probably starting initially with just setting a simple color for it.

Since that will be a property of an object (an object will have only 1 style assigned to it I think), that should probably map pretty well to a "layer" in Rhino, since an object in Rhino can similarly only be assigned to a single layer also.

I think it will be possible to use just the styles as a kind of grouping mechanism if you want, like there should be some way to select objects by style, etc...

But then in addition to that for more flexibility I also want to have a "scene tree browser" type panel which would allow for more arbitrary grouping which will show object names.

You can also see these threads for some previous discussions:

http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=1944.1
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=2127.1
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=2150.5

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
944.21 In reply to 944.20 
Also, I've made some good progress on the "styles" part of this whole thing, that will be the first area to get finished I think.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
944.22 In reply to 944.21 
Thanks Michael ...

It sounds good ... I'm just hoping maximum flexibility to work back and forth as needed.

You're working on your holiday ... go have a cold beer! :)

eric
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-18  19-22