Placed Image is a black rectangle

Next
Hi,

I am trying to place a 3 meg file on the ground plane to draw on top of and it is showing up as a black rectangle. Rhino seems to handle the image fine. I opened up the working rhino file in MOI and again I got nothing, just a plane.

Thanks again,

Aaron
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
929.2 In reply to 929.1 
Hi Aaronic...

could you post your image so we can try it ?

Regards,
Lish

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
929.3 In reply to 929.1 
Hi Aaron, I wouldn't be surprised if your 3MB image is a highly compressed TIFF image that is actually quite high resolution (like maybe something like 7000x4000 pixels).

The TIFF format is able to compress black and white images with large areas of white in them really well, so that 3MB of highly compressed data becomes a much much larger data size when fully uncompressed to raw texture data.

You'll need to reduce the pixel resolution down to something smaller like 1280x1024 and then it should work.

Rhino works because it is automatically resizing the image to be smaller before trying to send it to the video card. MoI is ending up using a larger sized image which won't fit in your video card's memory.

I should be able to tune this up a bit so that MoI will automatically resize images to a bit smaller in size, right now it only does it to the theoretical maximum size that the card says it supports, but this may still not fit in the actual available memory of the card.

There was also another recent thread on this same issue, see here for more info:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=919.1

But to make a long story short, resize the image down to a smaller size and you'll be in business.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
929.4 In reply to 929.1 
Oops, one other thing:

> I opened up the working rhino file in MOI and again I got nothing, just a plane.

That's actually normal for right now - MoI does not currently read the texture mapping information from Rhino objects.

You probably used the "PictureFrame" command in Rhino? That basically creates a plane object and assigns a texture map to it.

Since MoI doesn't read the texture map information, you will just see the original plane object when you import it into MoI.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All