Cross sections

Next
Hello,
Just come across MoI, and it's looking good.
Is there any way that I can generate cross section data from a model, either manually or through a function like 'create cross sections'.

Cheers Iain @:)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
917.2 In reply to 917.1 
Maybe like this ? And after you can click on any segment you want for any function like an Offset for exemple and you will have a cross section with a thickness wished!

---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery

EDITED: 12 Sep 2007 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
917.3 In reply to 917.1 
Hi Iain, there isn't any automatic way right now, but a few different manual methods are possible. Pilou shows one way of using booleans.

Another method is to build a set of planes that intersect your object, and then run the Construct / Curve / Isect command. That command calculates the curves of intersection between objects.

Here's an example - I started by drawing a line to the side of the model to cut, and then used Construct Extrude to punch it up into a plane:

Next I made a bunch of copies of the plane along one direction using Transform / Array / Dir:

Then select everything and run Construct / Curve / Isect - this will generate the curves where the planes intersect the object, I think these are the curves you're looking for. Here I used Select / Invert to select and delete the original object and planes:

I do want to add a more bundled up cross-sectioning tool in a future version but for now this should get the job done.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you get stuck or have any questions on any of these steps.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
THIS is the kind of tutorials I want to have with MoI!!!
Please, Michael, make a list of these threads and the older ones and include this to the documentation as "Tips and tricks"

***There is always a better way to do things... Just find your Moment of Inspiration***

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
I agree! I hope Michael will be able to round up all the great information that has flowed though here these past months.

It's not so much documentation on what the tools do, but it's this kinda "outside the box" stuff that makes you a power user; best practices and tips on HOW to use the differing tools to accomplish things...

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All