got a problem fill / close an area....
All  1-3  4-6

Previous
Next
902.4 In reply to 902.3 
Hi Lish - I'd generally suggest using fillets for these areas as well. Instead of stopping your handle exactly at the area to cap, extend it further and have a plane as the cap, then use a fillet to round it.

For example:

For that one I didn't extend your shape, so it is a little shorter than you wanted. I selected your handle as an entire object, then ran Construct / Planar to fill in the planar holes, then selected the end face and did Construct / Fillet, using the Shape : G2 Blend option to get a more organic kind of blend shape there instead of an exact arc/circle shape.

It's generally harder to fill in an area like this with one single smooth surface instead - MoI does not currently have that tangent-preserving type of fill command like is available in SolidWorks, but it is something that I want to add in version 2.0 .

There are other methods you can use now, but they are quite a bit more tricky than using just the fillet like I showed above.

One option is to use Blend - Blend is one of the few tangent/curvature preserving kind of commands currently in MoI. Normally blend is used to make a smooth connecting piece between 2 surfaces, more like this:

However, you can also use it to seal off a hole where the hole is made up of 2 edges like you have in this case. To do this, select the 2 edges and run Blend, you can adjust the slider to control the amount of bulging. Also switch the Continuity: option to Curvature (G2) - that will generate this:

That's got a more fully rounded type shape like you seem to be looking for.

It is also possible to more directly model the rounded shape of the end by constructing a dome type shape at the end, that allows you more exact control over the shape. Here are some ideas for that approach - I drew this curve:

Then I ran Construct / Revolve / Rail revolve, and selected this edge as the rail curve, and drew the revolve axis as shown:

That creates this revolved cap surface:

That gives you a lot of control over the shape of the cap. But the cap meets up to the main handle in a sharp edge - to make that smooth you can either trim the cap back and then do a blend between the 2 edges, or join them together and then try to use a fillet to round out that area.

I hope this gives you some ideas, let me know if you need any more information on any of these techniques.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
902.5 In reply to 902.4 
Hi Michael...

Thank`s for the tips.
I like the blend command, easy & fast....!

Regards,
Lish

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
902.6 In reply to 902.5 
The only problem with the blend method is that right now will only work if you have a hole made up of 2 edges, not if you have more.

But if you have only one single edge for a hole (like for example, the end of a cylinder or some tube-like surface that is made up of only one single surface instead of 2 halves), it is possible to break that edge into 2 edges by selecting it and using Edit/Trim with the "Add trim points" option.

Trim on an edge basically breaks it into smaller edge pieces.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-3  4-6