Unable to create direct3d9 device
All  1-4  5-7

Previous
Next
885.5 In reply to 885.4 
Thanks for pointing that out. I certainly didn't realize the significance of that bit of information. At least I can stop spinning my wheels trying to find a software solution to a hardware problem. You might want to add "Video card that supports 32 bit 3D color" to the system requirements. I'm sure the latest hardware offerings already include it, but some of us don't bother with upgrading working hardware unless some app forces the issue. It would be good to know that on the way in. Or, if MoI is able to determine why it can't create a Direct3D9 device, the error message could be more specific.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
885.6 In reply to 885.5 
Ummm... Am I missing something? MoI is a modeling program. Why does it need 32 bit color? Everything is shades of grey.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
885.7 In reply to 885.6 
Hi Orinoco - MoI uses your video card for more than just display, it also uses some output from your video card for other purposes such as determining selection.

It's this additional usage that creates the 32-bit requirement.

When I was designing MoI, I had kind of a choice - I could have tried to support a wider range of low powered video cards, but then I wouldn't be leveraging the power that is present in more modern video cards. So I decided to go for kind of a balance - basically I target video cards that are about within 5 years old.

Video cards much older than that are quite a bit less powerful than newer generation ones.

Your one came out 7 years ago, and even then it was actually a pretty "low end" card, not actually a independent card at all but part of the motherboard chipset.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-4  5-7