Freeze

Next
Hi Michael ...
I have a builder client who downloaded the trial version of V3 at my suggestion. One of the reasons was so he could look at and manipulate a project I am doing for him. He was also very interested in learning to use MoI for his own work.
However, I took the models to his office today on a USB flash drive and could not do work on his computer. The graphics just don't work. Slow. The image comes up but freezes at every manipulation. It takes at least 30 seconds to recover from changing a view or clicking for a command.
His computer is an all in one Acer Aspire Touch Model Z3801. It only has 4GB of RAM and an Intel HD built in graphics system.
The model is a rather intricate framing plan of a residential building so it has lots of surfaces (solids for the most part) but only about 10 styles.
This model does well on my laptop with 8GB of RAM and a Radeon 7730M graphics system.
Do you suppose the low RAM in his machine is the problem or the Intel graphics.
He is willing to get more RAM and perhaps a graphics card (if his system will take one)
Thanks,
eric
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8806.2 In reply to 8806.1 
Hi eric, it's probably something to do with the Intel graphics driver - possibly more due to the software driver itself than the actual graphics card though.

The first thing to try would be to see if there is any newer graphics driver available.

The next thing to try is to disable multi threading in the MoI display engine and see if that avoids some conflict that's happening with the display driver. To do that you need to open up the moi.ini file and change the DisplayThreadLimit= option in the [View] section to DisplayThreadLimit=1

[View]
DisplayThreadLimit=1

It also might be possible that v4 would work better on his system than v3 - v4 uses the newer Direct3D11 interface to the graphics card and that part of the graphics driver may be working better than the Direct3D9 interface that MoI v3 uses. To test v4 on his machine, copy your v4 install directory C:\Program Files\MoI 4.0 beta Dec-12-2017 onto a USB key and also copy your license key files from %Appdata%\moi onto the USB key too alongside MoI.exe then you can run it on his system to test it.

If none of these things makes it any better than it's probably that the graphics card is just not up to it. Unfortunately those all in one systems probably don't have any way to upgrade the video card.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8806.3 In reply to 8806.2 
Thanks so much Michael.
I will follow up with him next week.
cheers,
eric
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8806.4 In reply to 8806.2 
Hi Michael
I thought the ver 4 beta might be updated today.
I'd like to install it on a USB Flash drive to take to a meeting with my client with the Aspire All in One on Friday morning.
Do think you might have the release out tomorrow or should I just use the present version?
thanks,
eric
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8806.5 In reply to 8806.4 
Hi eric, I'm sorry I'm not sure if it will be out tomorrow. Maybe but some of the last details are being a bit stubborn.

I'd say go with the current version, it's always possible that a new release can also have new bugs in it too.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
8806.6 In reply to 8806.5 
Thanks for the quick reply Michael.
Yes,
I'll use the present version unless the birthing happens tomorrow afternoon.
Get some sleep ... I'm off for some, myself.
cheers,
eric
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All