Moi Version 4

Next
Apart from being 64 bit what are the differences between Moi 3 and 4.Are there additional tools and functions for example?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8779.2 In reply to 8779.1 

EDITED: 10 Jan by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8779.3 In reply to 8779.1 
Hi hhal, there's also a collection of all the v4 release notes in one place here: http://moi3d.com/wiki/V4Beta

There isn't much in the way of new tools yet, those will be coming once things have fully stabilized from the big rewrite.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8779.4 In reply to 8779.3 
OK Thanks Michael.
I look forward to how this progresses.
Is there any plan to integrate some of the many scripts that have been written for moi so they come as standard as it were?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8779.5 In reply to 8779.4 
Hi hhal,

> Is there any plan to integrate some of the many scripts that have been written for moi
> so they come as standard as it were?

No, no plans for that currently. Many of the scripts that I've written are to help an individual person with some very specific problem. So those would be a little weird to distribute along with the same package installed by everyone. Other scripts have been developed by other people and it would also seem strange to me to package someone else's work directly with MoI, it would make it seem like they were part of the officially supported core package.

In the future I would like to make some kind of centralized online script repository though, where you could browse through scripts and install them more easily. I'm not sure when that will happen, it's not a priority compared to improving more basic functionality first.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8779.6 In reply to 8779.5 
Hi Michael, I'm excited for v4
not that Moi3D is cpu hungry in general, but will v4 support multi-threading? I have a lot of cores and would greatly benefit from that in combination with the 64bit memory usage.
Cheers!
Stephan
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
***In the future I would like to make some kind of centralized online script repository though, where you could browse through scripts and install them more easily. I'm not sure when that will happen, it's not a priority compared to improving more basic functionality first.
i've thought about that too ! it's hard to get-in Full potential of moi without using scripts ! & it's one of software where u have to search possibilities behind Core based one !
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
8779.8 In reply to 8779.6 
Hi Stephan,

re:
> but will v4 support multi-threading? I have a lot of cores and would greatly benefit from that
> in combination with the 64bit memory usage.

MoI does already support multi-threading in both V3 and V4 - it's currently used in the viewport display engine and also in export to mesh formats when meshes are being generated.

It's not really feasible to just use multi-threading in every single function, it takes special work to make use of multiple CPU cores and so it's something that's added to specific targeted areas. I would like to add it to more areas in the future but it's a pretty difficult area of work so I'm not sure when that will happen. Probably display mesh generation on file loading will be the next area that will get it at some point.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All