Complete PC Crash!

Next
Hello, first of all I want to say that MoI is the *best* piece of software I've seen in a while in terms of creativity. Good work!
However, I have a problem with the file menu. Whenever I want to save or export a model my Pentium 4 crashes completely (black screen and reboot). Also, no reports are generated. As you will appreciate, this is a nuisance since the ability of saving your work is quite handy ;-)
Yes, I have updated my video drivers and I know that one solution to the problem is upgrading my PC, but I just wanted to see if anyone else has that problem.
For the time being I'll use another PC and again: I think it's a great piece of software!
Regards,
Storm
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
873.2 In reply to 873.1 
Hi Storm, that doesn't sound very good! This is the first time that I have heard of this problem.

So basically, the crash happens immediately after you push the "Save" or "Export" buttons? This would normally show the Windows "pick a file name" dialog box, something is apparently going very wrong at that point.

It is possible for other programs to try and hook this dialog and customize it, sometimes this creates problems. If you are running any kind of system customization software that might try to extend file dialogs or something like that, you might try disabling that (for example Window Blinds, Doc Commander, ... ).

But it is usually quite difficult to crash the entire system like that, usually it requires some kind of system driver doing something wrong. The file dialog itself doesn't usually have much to do with the video driver, but when it opens it may involve things like drivers for removable disk drives, stuff that has to do with disks or files. If you've got anything special along those lines then that might be the culprit.

One question - does the crash also happen to you if you go to File / Open as well? Or only when saving?

Unfortunately, this one may be pretty difficult for me to fix up... But I may be able to try a couple of different changes and send you some custom builds to try and narrow down the problem. If you want to try that, we can continue this over e-mail, you can e-mail me at moi@moi3d.com to start a back-and-forth debugging process.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Userland software shouldn't crash the OS.

Sounds like a driver or hardware issue. Do you get full system crashes in other apps as well?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All