Nurbs to 3D print surface quality

Next
Hey all,

When I export from Moi and import to my slicer app (S3D and Cura) my surfaces are faceted. Ive tried to increase the polycount but I end with a much larger file with narrow facets (still no smooth surface). Any tips on how to get the same surface quality I get in MOI to a 3D print? 3rd party apps? scripts?

-Thanks!
Alan
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8723.2 In reply to 8723.1 
Hi Alan, the main tip is to expand the Meshing options dialog by pushing the little down arrow so you get more options and then in there set the "Divide larger than" setting to a distance around 1/50 or so of your model's overall size.

When you set "Divide larger than" to a value, it will cause any triangles larger than that to be further subdivided, that's the best way to avoid long skinny triangles which tend to be the easiest to see. You use that in combination with moving the slider over a bit towards the "more polygons" side.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8723.3 In reply to 8723.2 
Hey thanks Michael.

So when I set the Divide value are you entering "1/50"? If I do this it translates to .02.
Also, there are setting for "curved, planes, all." Which on?

Thanks!

Alan
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8723.4 In reply to 8723.3 
Alan.

Michael was referring to what could be called a bounding box size.

If your model can fit into a one meter square bounding box, then set the value to .2
If your model can fit into a ten meter square bounding box, then set the value to 2

I think that generally speaking, choosing "All" works best.

-s
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
8723.5 In reply to 8723.3 
Hi Alan, yes it's like Scooter writes above, you want to put in a distance there that is related to the size of your object. You wouldn't put in a value of 0.02 if your object is 1000 units across because that is so small compared to your object size that it will generate a huge number of triangles since 0.02 is such a small value compared to the object size in that case. You might try starting with a value like one half of your object size and then continue to half that value until you see a good level of polygons where there aren't any long ones stretching across your whole model (which tend to be the most easily seen), but not so much that you are generating 100 million triangles. And yes applying it to "all" is probably best.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All