Is there some comparison between MOI rhino and SU

Next
hi,

thinking about learning MOI instead of Rhino5 and maybe stop using Sketchup.

Is there a comparison between the 3?

Can MOI work with Processing language?

How does it work with a Interior Design type workflow?

Does it have better rendering than SU?

Regards,

Simon
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8697.2 In reply to 8697.1 
Hi zymon.

No!! Moi cannot replace Sketchup (and also Rhino) simply because these three products differ from one another.

Ok. Moi and Rhino shares (almost) the sane 3DM file format but they was built with two very different philosophy.

Moi is mainly focused on the fastest and lightest possible workflow suitable, above all but not only, for 3D "artists and designers".

Rhino is a much more "classic" nurbs modeler and also a "Developing Platform" mainly focused on Generative Modelling via Grasshopper/C++/Python/.Net

And Sktekcup is a totally different kind of product.

I think that it could be a wise idea to include Moi into your personal workflow without getting rid of the other kind of "modelling environments".

Ciao!

- Marco (mkdm)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8697.3 In reply to 8697.1 
Is there a comparison between the 3?
Moi - Rhino = Nurbs so voluptuous curves - surfaces - volumes / Su = Surface Polygonal Box Modeling (can be subdivised by plugins but artificial :)

Can MOI work with Processing language? Not aespecially

How does it work with a Interior Design type workflow? Fine as long as you don' t make organic modeling like pushed human anatomy!

Does it have better rendering than "native" SU render?
Till now you have a native work Light rendering so better than SU in certain aspect (but not photo realistic and no project shadows, no texture)
You need an external render for that! A free one like SimLab Composer Lite (max 1920 * 1080 can be a start! :)
http://www.simlab-soft.com/3d-products/simlab-composer-lite.aspx

EDITED: 24 Nov 2017 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8697.4 In reply to 8697.1 
In addition MoI does not have dimensions and line weights yet. I use MoI most days for architectural design modeling and to some extent 2d working drawings but then have to switch to Rhino for completing drawings and renderings. It is a pretty smooth workflow between those two.
I almost never use SketchUP though I did some in it's very early days. It does not flow for me easily ... probably because I don't use it enough to be adept with it.
cheers,
eric
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
It just depends on what it is you want to do, how much time you can take to learn a program, how often you will use the program, what your budget is and probably a host of other things.

Rhino and MoI, as has been said here before, are similar to a point. Probably the most important thing to me was the knowledge that Michael Gibson, the MoI author and main forum help person here, was also responsible for authoring the first Rhino versions as well. After designing a full-features NURBS product in Rhino, he left and decided instead to focus more on usability-- to create a solid modeler "for the rest of us."

So, if you're like many here, who don't actually live in a single 3D program day in and day out, you may find MoI suits you just fine. I'm sure there are some feature gaps between it and Rhino, but Michael has done an excellent job of optimizing usability concerns and feature creep. I think of him as the Steve Jobs of NURBS, someone who really has his finger on the pulse of what most people really want. I literally can go months without using MoI and then pick up right where I left off-- something not possible for me using other solid modelers.

If you plan on 3D printing, then a NURBS based solids modeler are certainly the way to go. Using polygon modelers, like SketchUp will be an exercise is extreme frustration.

If, on the other hand, you're focused on architecture, game or low poly modeling, then certainly SketchUp can do the trick, as can many other programs, including the free Blender. SketchUp is pretty easy to learn, but the latest 2018 release has done away with a usable free version, which is a problem for many.

IMO, you need 3 different modelers. A solid modeler (MoI), a poly modeler (SketchUp or Blender) and a topology modeler (3D Coat or ZBrush). BTW, 3D Coat has a very good sale going on right now which you might want to look at as well. HTH.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All