Chamfer/Fillet problem

Next
Hi

I got this model that I would like to put a small chamfer on. About 0,2 mm is probably what I had in mind. It works on the holes in the model but not on the other edges. I don't understand what I am doing wrong. I attached the file as this is probably impossible to answer otherwise.

Any one have a clue.
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8691.2 In reply to 8691.1 
Ciao henricius

Your model has two (for chamfer) critical parts:

Somehow there you have bad connections..
I deleted this parts and than the two pieces chamfer right... (see in Example.3dm)

If you build up your model again try to avoid such edges..

Enjoy Moi :-)
Ralf
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8691.3 In reply to 8691.2 
Hi

Ok. So the chamfer did not like those parts. I have not built the model myself, it has been imported from CAD via a step-file. Would it be possible to create this object without those lines or can I dissolve those lines and keep the same solid form.

Thanks for answering.

Henrik
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8691.4 In reply to 8691.3 
Hi Henrick,

re:
> Would it be possible to create this object without those lines or can I dissolve those lines and
> keep the same solid form.

Yes if you were to model the object over again from scratch you would be able to avoid the little slivery surface by controlling the segmentation of your curves before you constructed surfaces from them.

"dissolving the lines" on the existing model is fairly difficult - it is possible to do something like that by working with individual surfaces and untrimming and retrimming them. There is an object repair tutorial here which goes over how to do this but it's fairly involved:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=446.17

Also here's a shorter one focused just on how to untrim:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=444.4

If you extract some surfaces and untrim them it looks like the 2 pieces originally come from the same cylinder so it's possible to recover that cylinder and retrim it.

But did you look at ralf's file above, he just tuned it up by deleting the little slivery surface area and once you've chamfered that you could build some new surfaces crossing the gap, that would probably take less time.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
8691.5 In reply to 8691.4 
Hi

I ended up remodelling the object. It was actually easier than I first expected. Thanks to Ralf and Michael for your help.

I have also noticed that chamfer and fillet seams to operate in different ways. Sometimes when I am not able to get chamfer to work then I can use fillet instead.

-Henrik
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All