2 killer options
All  1-4  5-8

Previous
Next
i thought that was the case, just wishfull thinking. if one could create a nurbs modeller with all the options as a SDS modelling app. that would be a priceless thing, no?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
869.6 In reply to 869.5 
That kind of a thing will be coming eventually - T-Splines (http://tsplines.com/) is one of the starting things like that.

The only thing is that SDS modeling has kind of an overall different toolset, it's kind of more focused on moving 3D points around and sort of works more like sculpting.

NURBS modeling in MoI is set up mostly around a different type of method, more like drawing curves and constructing things from those curves. It's kind of more like drawing or illustration than sculpting.

For shapes with little lumps and bumps and small details like a face, the SDS sculpting method works great. But the drawing/illustration style method tends to be better and faster for industrial or mechanical type models.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
It might be cool to have similar options to Maya NURBS, like insert/delete isoparm and similar functions that have to do with the control cage itself. (i.e. dynamic controls for the amount of isoparms in both U and V directions, as well as being able to cut in isoparm loops where needed.)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
869.8 In reply to 869.7 
re: insert/delete isoparm, etc...

I definitely want to add some more features like these for a future version.

For version 1.0, there hasn't been much of a focus on control point manipulation of surfaces in general. You can turn them on and move them around, but I just have not spent very much time developing that area yet.

For 1.0 I decided to focus more on drawing and illustration flavored stuff where you draw curves and construct surfaces using lofts, sweeps, etc..., instead of squishing the points of surfaces around.

The focus on drawing will probably continue for a while, but eventually I will be able to fill in some additional point squishing tools as well.

I didn't really want to focus very much on point squishing early on because I think that point squishing tends to work better with a polygon subdivision surface modeler anyway, so I kind of expect for people who want to model using that method to use a different package that has focused entirely on that. By focusing more on a different style of workflow, it helps to make MoI more interesting and work better as a companion tool to someone who is already using a polygon modeler.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-4  5-8