FBX export into Blender fails?..

Next
Hi folks, working with the v4 Beta (congrats, Michael on the great progress!)

I'm trying to export a model originally done in Fusion 360, meshed (wonderfully) by MOI to FBX, to get into Blender v2.79.

I'm just now noticing, that Blender is complaining about the FBX version "Version 6100 unsupported must be version 7100 or later"??

I was hoping that the v4 Beta was using perhaps a later version of FBX export, but alas I guess it's not?

I see now as I'm writing this, if I import the MoI FBX into Modo and export using their "FBX 2015" or "FBX 2018" exporters, it come into Blender without complaint.

So, seeing that I at least have a way to get the FBX into Blender, I'm not as desperate now, but it would be nice if MoI FBX can get into Blender wo/issue...

Frankly I'm going though all this because of scaling issues - a 36" F360 model comes into MoI perfect, but when I export the OBJ out for import into Blender, the scale is way off. I set Blender to Imperial (was using Feet in F360 and MoI) but no matter what I do, I have to "eyeball scale" the OBJ model in Blender??

If I export FBX from MoI it appears to "carry" the correct scaling along with it, eliminating my issues...

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8683.2 In reply to 8683.1 
Hi Will, so I set up the FBX export in v4 to use version 6.1/2010 by default since that was what MoI v3 exported and I was worried that using a newer version might behave differently and break transfers that used to work.

But you can get MoI v4 to use a newer format though by a setting in moi.ini :

[FBX Export]
FBX Version=2016

You'll need to add that in to the moi.ini file, it won't be in there already.

You can put any of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016 in there, version 2016 will support large files using 64-bit sizes but is only compatible with Autodesk 2016+ app versions so they would need a pretty recent library to support that one.

I guess I'd better add this to the Options dialog since it seems like it will become a problem.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Will,

Have you set the units to feet? (not the length and angle) I ask as you said you set it to imperial which is a choice in the length selection.
when I import an OBJ file from Moi I get the same dimensions as long as the units are the same in moi and blender. also if you are having trouble importing FBX file download FBX converter 2013.3. It's how I get FBX files into Blender.
cheers,
Val
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thanks Michael, over the years, you've "saved me in the INI file", several times now - I'll give it a try when I get the chance!

Thanks as well, Val, I believe with the help from both of you, I'll hopefully be able to move past my "GIANT" model imports from MoI into Blender - keeping my fingers crossed!

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Okay thanks, Michael! Changing the FBX output version in the INI file fixed the Blender import issue!

Now when I create a 6' tall cube in Fusion 360, Iges that into MoI, and then FBX export from MoI to Blender, the 6' reference cube from F360 matches exactly with the one I created in Blender to compare.

I'm straight now!

I still wish the OBJ scaling matched - I'll work on that a bit more to see if I can figure out a reproducible export/import method that gets the sizes right...

If I had one wish out of all of this, I wish MoI's import dialog had a hella-handy Y-Up / Z-Up drop-down or radio selection - I always find I have to rotate my objects coming from F360 into MoI. F360, Modo and Houdini all have Y-Up (or at least, are adjustable), Blender is the odd one out...

(Checking now, I see there is a Nurbs import flip Y/Z in the INI file, which I've enabled, but I still wish that option was exposed on the import dialog as a convenience for the times when I don't need it...)

Thanks again for all your help, and your continued work on this wonderful program!

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8683.6 In reply to 8683.5 
Hi Will,

Don't know if it's what you're looking for but, you can change the obj import Y-up in the Options.
Perhaps you'd like to be able to change it on the fly depending on the source document, instead of resetting it each time ?

Also, in Blender, there are options to set Y-up on obj export or import.

Michel

EDITED: 28 May 2019 by VINC

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi, Mip, thanks but coming from Fusion 360, my only viable options are Step and Iges.

I noticed exporting multi-component assemblies from F360 fail with Step so I'm mostly using Iges now.

MoI doesn't have a Y/Z flip for that format (without resorting to INI edits), that's why I was advocating a generic flip for all the supported import formats right on the import dialog itself...

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8683.8 In reply to 8683.2 
Hi Michael, I am having the same problem. I can't seem to be able to import FBX in to blender 2.79 daily build. My system is Mac OS high Sierra
Image Attachments:
Size: 65.5 KB, Downloaded: 9 times, Dimensions: 574x326px
Size: 18.7 KB, Downloaded: 16 times, Dimensions: 650x96px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8683.9 In reply to 8683.8 
Hi Digitaluka, MoI v3 only supports FBX version 6100 and so won't work with Blender 2.79 .

The MoI v4 beta however has an updated FBX library and can be configured to write later versions than 6100.

To do this open up MoI v4 and go to Options > General > "Edit .ini file" button.

Inside the moi.ini file find this section:
[FBX Export]

If not found, add it to the end and then add in an entry under it for FBX Version=2014 so it looks like this:

[FBX Export]
FBX Version=2014

With that in place MoI v4 will write a newer version of FBX files which should then work with Blender.

You can put any of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016 to control which version of FBX MoI v4 will write.

You can get the v4 beta from here: http://moi3d.com/beta.htm .

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
8683.10 In reply to 8683.9 
Perfect:) I now know where the ini file is. Thank you.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All