SketchUp 18 !

Next
Hum hum ...no more Version Make! Just Online (My SketchUp becomes SketchUp Free) (for Hobbyists)

So keep your old version(s) in local if you want use Plugins! ;) (for Hobbyists)

Sorry in French but you can put the Subtitles! [CC] + auto translate + English ;)

EDITED: 15 Nov 2017 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8678.2 In reply to 8678.1 
Hello Pilou.

@You : "...no more Version Make! Just Online (My SketchUp) (for Hobbyists)..."

LOL :)
It's always the same old story...

Those days are over. The party is over :)

Ciao.

- Marco (mkdm)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8678.3 In reply to 8678.2 
All becomes Online! Moi is resisting! :)

EDITED: 15 Nov 2017 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8678.4 In reply to 8678.3 
I'm an "old school" man ;)
I hate "only online".
Totally!

Long life to Moi and Affinity!

Ciao Pilou.

Marco (mkdm)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Same here guys. No subscriptions, no serious tools in a browser window, no isolated cloud service for every tool. Photoshop already ruined that. I'm glad that MoI, Affinity Designer + Photo, Blender, ZBrush, 3D Coat and Keyshot are still old school, solid, locally installed, non-subscription tools.

Regards,

— Metin

———————

metinseven.com — visualization • illustration • animation • 3D (print) design

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I seem to remember speaking of the inevitable end SU as we knew it back when they were purchased.
It's probably rare for a buyout to ever bode well for any given piece of software.
I worry that Thea Render's days are actually numbered.

I agree - resist the cloud at all costs! (But what do you do when M$ and Apple design their platforms for eventual conformity?)

My mainstay meat-and-potatoes programs Photoshop and CorelDRAW have both gone the way of the cloud.
Their corporations claim that this move is to both progress with modern tech as well as curtail piracy, though anyone with a brain can see that their design is to protect your wallet from too much (of their) cash.
Instead of paying $800 for an app and getting a good 5 years out of it OR until you feel the need really warrants upgrading, now you pay $40 a month, which is not only $2,400 after the said five years but really, $$ a month forever no matter how long the investment was really paid and done fore.

The other major drawback is the fact that you must be connected online to access your app or operate parts of it... this can actually get pretty bad.
Here in the small town I work in, our Comcast internet quite often fails and is often "being worked on" for hours at a time on random days - which means no phone or internet for us at our inconvenience.
Not their fault but is a result from the bad combination of rural remoteness combined with the after effects of unavoidable post-hurricane damage issues.

Don't get me started with Thea, I had to nicely ask them via email for some kind of weird code file to install my licensed copy at home on my particular system (where there was no internet.)

Maybe its just the times and everyone will eventually be forced to follow suit.
Anyone catch Microsoft's plans to get to a point where only "authorized/certified" app versions of any software would be the only ones allowed to work on their planned (Android-esc) OS?
Say good bye to trusty old custom .exe's and vintage apps running natively.

I still use Corel X6 (An Install Version!) as well as a non-cloud CS2 and CS5 versions of Photoshop, but sooner or later, my next PC and 'modern' OS will not play nice with them. Since I'll need AI as well I'll have to kiss off $120 at least, every month (after some realistic value point) just for the privilege (of what?).

I know less about these things than it sounds like I do, but I do gather that Michael has a certain sense of kinship if you will and a ton of personal capital in MoI ever to allow it not to be the 'friendly' program, it helps that the fact that Rhino is such a juggernaut staple tends to inadvertently protect MoI in its 'shadow' from being picked off so easy by corporate vultures, if I'm correct in saying.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8678.7 In reply to 8678.6 
@Mike
About Toshop & Illustrator you have now Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer family! ;)
( ~50 $ each and if i am not wrong it's updatable for life! )
or the free Gravit Designer! ;)

About rural Internet : have you try the Net by satellite ?

EDITED: 18 Nov 2017 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8678.8 In reply to 8678.6 
Well written, Mike! I wholeheartedly agree with your arguments.

Have a great weekend everyone,

Metin

———————

visualization • illustration • animation • 3D (print) design — https://metinseven.com
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Howdy, just wanted to add my 2 cents about what's going on with SketchUp 2018.

SketchUp Pro is not going away, and the commitment to it is greater than ever.

SketchUp Make 2017 is still available for download, and will be for some time to come.

SketchUp Free runs in the browser, even on inexpensive Chromebooks. So people who would otherwise not be able to afford to use SketchUp now can.

Ruby extensions don't run (safely) in web browsers, at least not yet, but that won't prevent people from being able to use SketchUp. It's a bummer but one that should eventually get resolved.

I remember when Google bought SketchUp and some folks said "that's the end of SketchUp". Well it didn't quite turn out that way. This is just the next step in the evolution of making 3D accessible for everyone.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8678.10 In reply to 8678.9 
And maybe a day Plugins adapted can run also in Browser!
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8678.11 In reply to 8678.10 
One certainly hopes so! Too bad the SketchUp API didn't use javascript instead of ruby. ;-)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Not at all happy about this. This is basically my thinking and what I wrote in the SU forum...
----------------------------
OK, I now understand there is a focus on trying to get extensions to work in the cloud sometime in the future. I suppose we can expect the whole app (PRO + FREE) to end up in the cloud at some point. If not, then this truly is a waste of valuable developer resources.

Pros
  • Eventually when SU Pro goes to the cloud, we’re back to one code base set.
  • Nothing to download (except I suspect there will need to be a ‘cached’ app somewhere so when you’re not connected to the cloud you can still do work like GApps.)
  • Easy to update all at once.
  • Can perhaps run on slower machines as most heavy processing can be done in the cloud (aka OnShape).
  • If prefs ever get implemented, it will be nice to have them stored online for all computers.
  • No license per computer and no dreaded licensing conundrum Trimble has put us through year after year.
  • Makes the Google Chromebooks team happy!

Cons
  • Not pipeline or ecosystem friendly. If you can’t quickly save and open the program in a different app. In fact I’m not even sure how to actually download the file. If it’s not as simple as SAVE to FOLDER then it’s a fail for working in any sort of workflow, pipeline or other ecosystem. And because there is no renderer, no animator and other missing items, it’s necessary to go to 3rd parties to get things done.
  • By focussing on the cloud, valuable resources are usurped which could be used to actually add some new and needed features. Those resources are now focussed on making the proper frameworks, trying to get existing extensions to play, client-side code, and the whole cloud architecture, among other things.
  • Takes a long time to put everything in place-- and meanwhile SketchUp core features keeps getting further and further behind. SU2018 is such an example. It’s more than clear all the dev resources are now focused on the cloud as this is the lamest update I can ever remember.
  • Sometimes instant updates create serious problems and if not adequately tested can be very problematic for professionals on a schedule. I hope you consider the ability for customers to roll back to previous versions.

So, instead of finally getting a fillet or chamfer command, or UV mapping (after all it is 2017), or better booleans, or even a decent renderer, we are now watching the programmers spend all their time on trying to figure out load balancing on servers and how to get around the limitations of different browsers.

I sure would’ve like to have been in THAT meeting where the decision was made to allocate major development resources to move the whole codebase to the cloud. Perhaps the decision was made by programmers knowing they need to add significant cloud development capabilities to their resume?

It is more and more apparent to me there is little focus at Trimble on what users need to actually model and render buildings, products, and 3D prints in 2018. There have been very few tools added over the past decade. Yes, I know we all EXPECT the plugin developers to create them for Trimble. Still, even the magnificent Fredo can’t easily build the standard filleting tool every other poly modeler has because of the internal architecture of SU.

Yes, I know the original design was a departure from standard vertex poly modelers…and a good one at that. Even so, there are so many ways to make it better. Trimble seems very reluctant to actually add the necessary features, and instead they’ve decided to now spend significant resources towards isolating the program, and it’s users, in the cloud. I’m just wondering if the programmers are actual 3D guys, or former Google Cloud computing developers?

------------

Before anyone jumps on MoI4 saying many of the same things could be said about features, understand updating a codebase to 64bit and native on a Mac is worth a whole update in itself. SU did that a couple years back and the community cheered loudly.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Hello,

Personally I think Trimble bought SU for its intellectual property, nothing more. Relative to their other lines of business I'm not sure SU was bread and butter for them, you can't blame them for following the money. It could be that some SU workflow was beneficial to their BIM strategy. This seems to follow other Trimble acquisitions.

I don't necessarily agree with the whole free and pro product strategy, it devalues your overall solution. Keep the product reasonable in cost but expect payment from everyone that uses it.

At any rate the entire SU market could go away tomorrow and I don't think it would hurt Trimble much at all, they had a plan for the SU tech that didn't involve the consumer market.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All