Trimming question

Next
What's a good way to trim the overhang in this model (shown in red below)? Thanks.

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8664.2 In reply to 8664.1 
Hi Involute, looks like the thing that makes your case here a bit more complex is your cut isn't in a straight direction.

I'd probably try building a network surface to use as a cutting object with boolean difference. But on this one side here I don't think it will work to put in a long straight line, because this area of the existing object looks like it's a slightly curved edge and not just a straight line:

So probably you'd need to draw in a line from the top of that red area above and incorporate the actual curved edge as the rest of the curve, rather than a long straight line for that side.

And also the kind of same thing applies to the short segment on the bottom - you'll need to use the existing edge there as part of your cutting surface construction, it's slightly curved. If you just draw in a line there it won't match up 100% .

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8664.3 In reply to 8664.1 
So you'd only want to draw in lines for these spots here, the other 2 spots are slightly curved and you want to use the existing edges there rather than putting in a straight line:

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
8664.4 In reply to 8664.1 
Hi Involute, so in the attached file I ended up using Edit > Trim to cut pieces away and then used Construct > Network to build a filling surface and joined it in.

Also instead of just drawing in a line for the top of that red zone above I put in a control point curve that's slightly curved so it's smooth with the lower piece.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All