CNC Routing

Next
I built a hobby sized CNC router table. As challenging as building the machine was, finding good design software to drive it has maybe been more difficult. Most other CAD packages either require a PhD to use and/or cost thousands of dollars. No joy, I assure you.

When I discovered the Moi Beta could easily do surfaces AND output in formats (stl in particular) that CAM packages can understand, I nearly stood up and cheered!

There is even a rumor that v1.0 will be priced with starving artists in mind... eh?

Additional features? I'd be cool if I could scan in my pencil sketches so I could trace them in Moi.

Thanks!
Kevin Wagner
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
858.2 In reply to 858.1 
Hi Kevin, I'm glad that MoI is working well for you!

It can be frustrating how much of an investment most other CAD programs require. Not just in money but in time - it seems that a lot of them are set up with the idea that you will spend quite a bit of time in training courses before actually using the software...

> There is even a rumor that v1.0 will be priced with starving artists in mind... eh?

Yup, version 1.0 will be available for US $195.

> Additional features? I'd be cool if I could scan in my pencil sketches so I could trace them in Moi.

Actually, this is already covered! :) After you scan in your sketch (you'll need to use your scanner software for that part), use the View / Image command to put it in as a background image. After starting that command, use the "Add" button in the upper-right corner to insert a new image, you draw it you would a rectangle and then your image will show up inside of MoI so you can use it for a tracing guide.

There are different options for how you want the image to be displayed, there is some information on the options here: http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=325.1

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
858.3 In reply to 858.1 
By the way if you end up cutting any designs on your table that you made in MoI, please take a picture and share it here, it would be cool to see them!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
858.4 In reply to 858.1 
Hi Kevin:

I am also happy with MOI because it will be very useful that to a very reduced price compared with other CAD.
Please it publishes pictures of your work and it recommends the program CAM that you use.

Best regards

Juan Galvan
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All