Ryzen Performance PC

Next
Hi Moi'ers

This is a bit off topic but since this is by far the best forum I know of I thought I would give this a chance.

I have been reading about a DIY performance PC with an AMD processor called Ryzen with great performance specs to a low cost.
I am in need of a new PC build for CAD (think of i7 and at least GTX1060) and rendering and would like to receive reviews from any user of this system, or even better if someone knows where to buy a complete kit, or prebuild.
Perhaps there is a forum user who builds and sells?

(There is several videos out there with guides but I am more of a user than a builder of computers :)

Thanks

/Stardust

*Michael for Nobel Prize*
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8542.2 In reply to 8542.1 
When you say CAD and rendering, if you are doing mostly CAD focused and some rendering using mostly automatic setups and default settings with little adjustments you want to use a CPU with the highest clock speed regardless of thread on the CPU.

If you are more rendering with some CAD and your rendering requires multiple iterations with you customized each rendered scene then go with the most threads that you can get, or the Ryzen AMD line for the most threads. Of course, some rendering programs will also utilize GPU cores as well so it could also depend on your rendering software of choice and I would ask them if they use CPU, GPU, or both.

The reason, at least from my knowledge, is that most all CAD functions cannot be performed in parallel but in series, meaning that A has to be completed on a single thread before B can be started.

But with rendering the job can be divided up among all threads, thus the more threads the better even if you are on a slower CPU.

For heavier CAD work, go with the fastest CPU regardless of AMD or Intel based.

For more customized scene rendering (as opposed to drop in your models, hit render then go get a cup of coffee while it crunches) than CAD go Ryzen 1700 series for the 8 cores and 16 threads.

Now that is general and will work for most, but make sure to contact your CAD and rendering software makers to verify if their CAD package works on multi-thread (again most will not). Also make sure that you are talking to someone in the know. With computers, like cars, people often think that bigger or more powerful everything is best when with softwares that require specific things to work best, the most powerful CPU may not give you hardly any advantage or even lose to a mid-range one that runs at a higher clock speed.

Best advice, no matter which way you go - plenty of ram since it is cheap. Think 32GB. The worst thing with any CAD tool that I had problems with was working on models or assemblies that would constantly hit the harddrive as a swap file since I would often peg the ram.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
8542.3 In reply to 8542.2 
Wow MSHIDELER

Thats a lot more than I expected as an answer, great, thanks a lot.
I will follow your instructions and check with the makers and work from that.

As you describe it, I am about 50/50 CAD and rendering and mostly I hit the button and grab me a coffee while it crunches.

Thanks a lot and I think I will find the best solution for me

/Stardust

*Michael for Nobel Prize*
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All