Specular highlights

Next
Hi,

I find some of the specular settings for modelled objects so attractive that I would like
to reproduce those light setups in my renderer. I will not be able to reproduce them
exactly but it would be interesting how the specular lights are generated in MOI.
What are the virtual sources of the highlights ? Planes, spheres ?

My current settings
Lighting style : Custom key and fill levels
Key light level : 0.78
Fill light level : 0,98

Specular highlights :0,18
Brightness : 0,18
Focus size : 20
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8541.2 In reply to 8541.1 
Hi Tom, well it might be kind of complicated to replicate it. But the way it works is that there's 12 directional light sources, one "key light" which is the strongest and then 11 fill lights each of which is at a low intensity.

You can see the key light if under "Custom key + fill levels" you set Key light level = 1 and Fill light level = 0, you should see there that the key light is coming in from the upper left corner and on something like a sphere that makes a dark band around the lower right of the sphere. Then there are 10 low intensity fill lights spread out between 2 directions coming up from the lower right, their job is to provide some illumination on the dark band where the key light doesn't do anything. Then there's one slightly stronger fill light coming down from the top too.

You might try using point lights a fair distance away, one stronger one to the upper left for the key light, then some lower intensity fill lights spread out a little bit on the lower left and another one up above.

Oh yeah, each light is actually doubled with a reversed one as well so there are actually 24 lights really.

But the process is something like start with a key light and its opposite and see where that leaves dark areas, then put in some lower intensity fill lights spread out a little bit from each other that will target the dark zone to mellow it out some, then another slightly stronger fill light up on top and below.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
8541.3 In reply to 8541.2 
>>well it might be kind of complicated to replicate <<

I am aware of that but you gave me good guidelines to give it
a try. Always thankful for your detailed explnations !
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All