Sweep Loft and Hide

Next
Hi is this a bug

when I sweep or loft an object,
then hide that object
then modify a curve (used in the swept/lofted object ive hidden)
the object i've hidden becomes unhidden
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
854.2 In reply to 854.1 
Hi Corzair, I'm not really sure... It kind of seems like this might be a good feature since it can be kind of bad to modify objects that you don't see at all. You might not be aware that something is changing if it stayed hidden.

It seems like one of those things that will have some amount of surprise no matter which way it works.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
854.3 In reply to 854.2 
is there no way to imbed sorta the original curve with the object - actually dont they all ready have the curve imbedded?
then i usually hide the object(ge lofted one) to do another version with the cross section/ curves
and its kinda annoying that the hidden object returns when I move a point

I can copy the curves again and thats what i do but seams and extra step

its not a major problem just quirky to me
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
854.4 In reply to 854.3 
imbedding the input objects is something which i strongly dislike in other programs (such as Hexagon). this limits you to one output object per input. But if the input is not imbedded, you can use same input for multiple objects...

jonah
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
854.5 In reply to 854.4 
well it seams some curves are imbedded and some are created in the new object
what I was saying is that the original curve used that isnt imbedded (or so it looks to me) as
you can move it around without effecting the loft or swept object when used for another sweep
brings the original object back out of hiding (if ive hidden it) as hidden it for clarity
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
854.6 In reply to 854.5 
Hi Corzair - maybe it depends on what you mean by "embedded", but MoI does not really bundle up an input object directly along with its output.

Some constructions may cause a surface edge to be created in the same spot as an original input curve, so that may look like a type of embedding, but the original curve is still there as a separate object.

Every time you create an object, MoI remembers the parameters for how it was created, and one of the parameters is the ID number of the original input curves. So there is a connection that is stored, but the actual curve object itself is not directly embedded into the generated object.

When you update an object, MoI will look to see if there are any other objects that have it listed as an input, and if there are then it will recalculate those objects (and the newly recalculated object becomes displayed instead of hidden).

> the original curve used that isnt imbedded (or so it looks to me) as
> you can move it around without effecting the loft or swept object when used for another sweep

It shouldn't work like that - if you do 2 lofts that use the same curve, when that curve is edited both lofts will update. But if you managed to either drag one of those lofts away that would break the history connection and that would behave like what you are describing there.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
854.7 In reply to 854.6 
Yes soory I wasnt eaxtly being clear

the endpoints are created so you have a curve object at star and end of the lofted/swept object that is created that very closely resembles
the original curves used to make that object - sorry that whole hexgon comment threw me of somewhat (hex inherited dynami geometry from amapi which can be colapsed also)

what I was doing was hiding without moving and then doing an ne sweep or loft (tryout ake a a fuselarge)
then the hidden object pops back to be displayed - obviously in the same place as my new slightly refined sweep
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All