Making various external/internal threads e.g. UNC 11,70 x 60 ...

Next
Hi All,

Hope things are well ... ;-)

I'm about to make some threads - e.g. a UNC 11,70 x 60 thread - and to this end have searched Moi3D's forum to possibly find some help in doing so. I found this thread:

http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=5451.27

and have downloaded the script and placed the file parts in the commands folder. However, when I use the script I get an error (in Danish, I unfortunately don't know what it would say in English) ... I've attached a screendump of what it looks like. I use what I think was the latest Moi3D V2 version (and still am so pleased with the relative simplicity of doing so!).

This script appears to be from 2012 - which may be fine - yet I wonder if there have been some updates/new approaches to thread making since then? Or, if the script is still considered fine by the users here, if I may be doing something wrong (might there be a short user's guide somewhere)?

Also, I'm a bit puzzled by seeing that when I start a new window of MoI3D then it seems to have forgotten the shortcut key for the thread script. Shouldn't the script remain in the shortcut key list even if Moi3D has been closed?

I'd much prefer an automated "approach" to thread making, if possible, so any help in this is appreciated!

Cheers,

Jesper

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8532.2 In reply to 8532.1 
Hi Evalon,

Perhaps the script needs to have MoI version 3, so an upgrade may be in order?

- Brian
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8532.3 In reply to 8532.1 
Hi Jesper, yes that script uses some new functions in MoI v3 and so the script error you're seeing there is from running it under the old V2 MoI release. I just double checked it to make sure and under v3 it's running fine for me and under v2 I get the same error you show.

> Also, I'm a bit puzzled by seeing that when I start a new window of MoI3D then it seems to
> have forgotten the shortcut key for the thread script. Shouldn't the script remain in the shortcut key
> list even if Moi3D has been closed?

Yes, normally that should be the case. Do you happen to have multiple program instances running though? If so that might be the problem because MoI saves information to the moi.ini file (which is where shortcuts are stored) at program exit and if you have 2 instances open and only set the shortcut key definition in one of those and then close the one without it last your shortcut key will get overwritten.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8532.4 In reply to 8532.1 
Hi Jesper,

later in that thread Max Smirnov posted a better version of my script. With preview and also faster.
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=5451.74
For the latest version of his script follow the thread towards the end.
Yes you need MoI 3.0

-Martin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Hi All ... Thanks for your feedback - very helpful!

Based on your comments & suggestions I decided to download the latest version of MoI and also of the script to see if I could make it work. And it worked flawlessly and made this thread (which resembles what I was hoping to make) in about five minutes. That includes my learning how to interpret the script options and the UNC thread information. Outstanding!! Thanks to Martin & Max for making such a useful script :-)

Now, I understand that I need version 3 to use the script - which is fair enough, however, I have been very content with my V2 and what it is capable of doing relative to my needs - so I will just give it a thought everything taken into consideration.

@Michael:

>> Do you happen to have multiple program instances running though? If so that might be the problem because MoI saves information to the moi.ini file (which is where shortcuts are stored) at program exit and if you have 2 instances open and only set the shortcut key definition in one of those and then close the one without it last your shortcut key will get overwritten. <<

Yes, I think this would be the case. I often have some instances of MoI open and since I haven't set up the shortcuts in all of them it could be that the moi.ini file is overwritten. Will try to remember this ...

Thanks again to all of you for your help in this .... and to Michael for an overall straightforward and intuitive program ;-)

Cheers,

Jesper

EDITED: 29 Jul 2017 by EVALON

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All