Connecting spline lines when mirroring

Next
When ever you create 1 side of a spline and once i mirror this for some reason the very middle creates a hard edge is there any way to select point in middle and change it to smooth edge? Thanks for any assistance
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8522.2 In reply to 8522.1 
Hi 3DFANATIC, mirroring doesn't change the shape of a curve, so if the curve was ending in an upwards pointing direction, 2 of those mirrored will make a sharp corner.

The ending direction of a curve is defined by the line between the last 2 control points like this:

If you want it to be smooth when mirrored that means you need the 2 curves to have the same direction there, that means their end and first inside points should all be one the same horizontal line.

There are a few ways to do that, when you're drawing a curve you can use the "Perp" snap for the last point to know that it's perpendicular to a center line, or you can select the points and use the edit frame to squish them down so they're on a horizontal line, or also the Transform > Align command can do it too.

Another thing you can do is if you use Edit > Join to glue the mirrored pieces together you can select the point that's shared between the 2 segments and delete it to make it all one single segment which will be smooth.

But it's generally a good idea to take special care of the first 2 and last 2 control points of a curve you're drawing so they're on the same line if you want it to mirror smoothly.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
8522.3 In reply to 8522.2 
Good morning Michael,
Perfect work around, thanks saved me a lot of time. Once I joined the 2 sections and deleted the middle point all issues gone. Also if I wanted to add more detail once I deleted the middle I can always add more point on the grid. This Program and you Michael have always impressed me, thanks again for all your timely support.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All