Control Point Control?
All  1-7  8-17

Previous
Next
Something like a loft with G2 connection
If so,it open a whole new solutions...just think in car model sessions ;)
Thanks Bem and Burr-the professor-Manator ! :)
M
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8496.9 In reply to 8496.5 
Hi OSTexo,

> Would it be possible to adjust the Bulge parameter in the Blend dialog by a snapping point in the work area instead of a slider?

It could be possible to do that in the future but it would require support in the C++ back end, it's not really feasible to do just through script editing of the current version.

> If that can be done would it be possible to extend that functionality to a factor and ratio basis?

Could you describe the factor and ratio method in some more detail?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8496.10 In reply to 8496.6 
Hi Brian,

re:
> I noticed that the Blend white paper has a blue ring incorporated in the blend.

That's a blend mechanism in Solids++ that uses a "derivative field" concept. When I tested it I found it to be problematic, sorry I don't remember the specific details. So MoI's blend function is a custom one I wrote myself, it's not using that particular mechanism.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8496.11 In reply to 8496.10 
Cool, Michael.

I may have asked before, but is there some way to get the x,y,z value of the Normal Vector at point "p" on a NURBS face/surface?
The Normal could be at iso (u,v) intersection point. A line normal to a face can be manually found on screen...

(My current project is solid sweeps, but the math is very difficult, and scripting can only do so much by itself :-)

- Brian

EDITED: 1 Jul 2017 by BEMFARMER

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8496.12 In reply to 8496.11 
Hi Brian,

re:
> I may have asked before, but is there some way to get the x,y,z value of the Normal
> Vector at point "p" on a NURBS face/surface?

Sorry, right now there aren't any evaluator functions like that exposed to script. But it's definitely something that I want to add in to v4.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hello,

Factor and ratio are in the first minute of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dODbVtwY-0

I suppose they are VSR terms, I'm guessing Ratio or Factor refers to Bulge in MoI?

VSR is a great toolset but is held back by the Rhino interface, I can imagine MoI can make similar features highly usable.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8496.14 In reply to 8496.13 
Hi OSTexo, thanks for the video link. Yes I think the Factor is the same thing as Bulge in MoI.

But I try pretty hard to avoid really complex UIs with 30 or 40 controls in them like they've got there. But dragging points in the view wouldn't clog things up in the same way so that would probably be feasible.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hello Michael,

I agree 1000% on the VSR interface, it's not very usable. I happen to think an in-view method would be vastly superior anyway since you could snap to other geometry.

You could get away with one more drop down in the Blend interface if you were able to specify continuity per side. Bulge could be specified in interface as well as Ratio, which is likely poor terminology from VSR since it means nothing to the average user. Ctrl and Shift functionality to change Bulge and Ratio (name changed) options per side with appropriate feedback to let the user know their state, but no need for additional interface elements in dialog. Icing on the cake would be being able to drag and snap the blend along the input curves and to create a curve off of an input surface at an angle, maybe snapping that in view to geometry. So one drop down and one dialog slider to get all that functionality sounds close with the only other consideration being a visual state helper.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hello,

Here's a Blend dialog sample. Terminology, e.g. Ratio should be tweaked, but the structure is there. No need for sliders when the process is in view. Bulge and Ratio run in lockstep by default until key press or manual entry?

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Hello,

Or this:

Attachments: