Sci fi game model prototyping
 1-20  21-27

Next
Hi guys,
I'm a hobby gamedev learning how to make the kind of hard surface sci fi models I'd like to use in my games. As part of learning is getting feedback I'm going to be updating this thread with how I get on and would appreciate any creative criticism people had time to make.

In addition I'll try and capture some of the useful tips / workflows I've found as I go in case that's helpful to others

Thanks
Andy
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8490.2 In reply to 8490.1 
Drone 1: Concept model for a game I'm helping make at Gamkedo an online game making club

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8490.3 In reply to 8490.2 
WOW THAT IS NICE
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Nice little model. I like the way its, quite unnecessarily, supported on its Laser beams:)

Best wishes
Keith

"Gamkedo an online game making club" - So many things that were never dreamed of when I was starting work in 1981
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
A bot this time based on work by JarlanPerez (jarlanperez.artstation.com), trying to work out the most direct way to generate those kinds of forms in MOI.

Also sketchfab link, https://skfb.ly/68QTU, lets you view the model in 3D in your browser.
It's a great way to see how other people have created models.

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
R2D2 revival! :)
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Congrats and much success to you and your team, I pretty much got into 3D modeling in support of my passion for games development, so my use of MoI is very similar to yours.

Like what you've done, especially by keeping things simple - great work!

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8490.8 In reply to 8490.5 
Hi
Isn't Moi's mesher going to be a problem if you intend to animate the model? I don't know much about low poly game modelling but thought that triangles were to be avoided.
BW
Keith
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Ultimately everything is reduced to simple triangles by the renderer, so no, the triangles by themselves aren't an issue - your surface normals and smoothing have to be correct or otherwise, yes, you will get artifacts.

MoI typically generates excellent surface normals for its exports, provided the target application respects them; if the target app discards MoI's normals and generates its own, then again, you could end up with artifacts.

Triangles by themselves are not a bad thing. In fact some game modelers triangulate their models right before export just so they know exactly what the model will look like instead of letting the game engine or target app do the triangulation upon import.

...And typically for hard surface models, again MoI's objects are lightweight and excellent, especially for "mechanical animations", I don't think many people would try to model and export character models from MoI with character animation in mind as their output?

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8490.10 In reply to 8490.9 
Hi WillBellJr
Thanks for the explanation. I learning on my own so its hard to find many things out. Particularly whats right and wrongs for particular applications. I like the concept of the games club (earlier in this thread) for people who want to get together and learn to make games.
All the best
Keith
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thanks Will, if you have any tips from your experience I'm all ears.

Hi Keith, Will covered the points well, see also http://assets2.digitaltutors.com/pdf/QuadsTriangles.pdf for a nice summary. For me going into Unity the models will be triangulated so by keeping the whole baking pipeline as triangles avoids any issues with normals. As the animation isn't the deformation kind it doesn't make a difference.

Cheers
Andy
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Nicely done models! I don't know why but I feel very nostalgic just by looking at them. They kinda remind me of those robot sidekick characters you see from time to time :)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Older model I forgot to post the render of based off of artwork on this course: https://app.pluralsight.com/library/courses/texturing-sci-fi-game-assets-substance-designer-2290/table-of-contents

Simple animation : https://skfb.ly/68QY8

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Newer models items for game partly set in undersea base :

Airlock door

In game test

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Newer models items for game partly set in undersea base :

Radio:

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
My current workflow is to model in MOI, obviously :), making sure to keep separate copies of parts / models pre boolean so that I can easily alter things / reuse items.
Each part of the model I will want to be a different material, painted steel, chrome etc. I assign to a different style.

Once finished I export a low and high poly version of the model in obj format as triangles, tweaking the low poly setting to see how little geometry I can get away with and still retain shapes.
I then take the low poly into 3D coat (https://3dcoat.com/home/) and use the auto UV options to quickly generate a good enough UV in a couple of minutes maximum.
I then apply the UV's out to the model with only one material applied, this is because I only want one UV space for the whole game model.

Its then over to Substance Painter (https://www.allegorithmic.com/products/substance-painter), I import the UV'd low poly model and then bake ID, normal and Curvature maps from the high poly model.
I can now easily apply different materials to specific areas by masking using the ID mask and generate wear effects automatically using curvature maps. The normal map from the high poly model gives me nice smooth rounding on curved surfaces. Once done I simply export out the game ready maps and apply.

Taken together I can therefore go from finished geometry to textured game asset extremely quickly with minimal effort!

EDITED: 8 Aug 2017 by OVERTHERE

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8490.17 In reply to 8490.16 
Hi overthere!

Thanks a lot for sharing. Very interesting.

I think that one of the best method to learn CG in general is sharing one's personal workflow.

Bye.

- Marco (mkdm)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8490.18 In reply to 8490.17 
Thanks for sharing your workflow! I'm impressed that it's an inexpensive workflow, too, which is important to me!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8490.19 In reply to 8490.15 
Cartoon style rocket for one of our latest club games

EDITED: 16 Feb 2019 by OVERTHERE

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8490.20 In reply to 8490.19 
Cartoon style car that's going to be having the rocket as a pick up. Surprised how far I could get with carving with curves and for the way we work quick and done is a plus :)

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  21-27