CSec Profiles, as in Rhino
All  1-6  7-14

Previous
Next
849.7 In reply to 849.6 
Hi Michael,
Using extra longitudinal profiles works perfectly for now, A little more work than the Csec's but a simpler than the slicing and dicing. Thanks for the pointers... (C joke)
V2 with Csec, and hopefully the dreamed about layers ..(ref: other user requests), will make me pack away most other nurbs toys, and go MoI culting on the highways.
And a great thanks for making MoI nurbs my 3d pencil with an amazingly simple approach to CADding. My hat off to you sir.
Jess
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
849.8 In reply to 849.7 
Thanks Jess!

Actually I was just thinking that there may be possibly enough stuff in place already to add in a custom CSec command right now, I'll give it a try tomorrow to see if I can put it together with the existing scriptable stuff.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
849.9 In reply to 849.7 
Ok Jess, good news for you - there was indeed enough scripting stuff hooked up already to make a CSec command for the current version, I've attached the new command to this message.

Here's how to use it.

First download and unzip the attached CSec.zip, copy the the 2 files (CSec.htm and CSec.js) to the \commands subfolder under your MoI main program files folder. This is the default install location:
c:\Program Files\MoI beta Aug-1-2007\commands .

That installs the new CSec command, but you need a way to trigger it - you can do this by adding a new keyboard shortcut under Options. Put in whatever key you want (like for example "C"), and put in CSec for the command.

Now you can select your CSec curves in order, and then push C, to do your CSec-ing right inside of MoI.

Here's a visual overview for others who aren't familiar with CSec. Given a set of scaffolding curves like this:

You can then pick these 4 curves (one by one in order from first to last in a circular order), then run CSec to generate a curve that interpolates a planar slice through the scaffolding. So you pick lines like this:

Which become cutting planes and each line generates a new cross-section curve. You repeat this with many lines and you get a bunch of cross-sections like this:

You can then loft through these or use them for whatever...

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
849.10 In reply to 849.9 
Wow Michael, it's just amazing how you just whip up all this power so easily in MOI!

I can't wait to read an article about you in Computer Graphics World!

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
849.11 In reply to 849.10 
Thanks Will! One thing that helps is that MoI uses scripting heavily in its normal operation for every command. What I mean is that the scripting is not just something that is bolted on extra, it is deeply embedded and used for basic operations in MoI.

So you can do pretty sophisticated stuff with scripts, create UI that is the same as any regular MoI command, etc... The only tricky part is that it will take me quite a bit of time to document it (and write scripting tutorials, etc...) so that others can use it to do these kinds of extensions more easily. I won't be able to focus on that kind of scripting documentation for a while yet.

In this case this new command basically combines together elements of several different commands - Line, Extrude, Intersect, and Curve through points.

There are a still a few things to streamline for scripting, but I'm really happy with the overall scripting architecture, it gives me a lot of flexibility when building new commands.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I have a problem with the CSec script. Here I am attaching the 3dm file. If I detach a little the profiles, then it works, but that's not what I need..
Thank you.
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
849.13 In reply to 849.12 
Hi wastzzz, yeah it's related to how the csec script calculates intersections between things - if the csec rails also intersect with one another it generates another intersection point and messes up the script.

> If I detach a little the profiles, then it works, but that's not what I need..

You can still easily get what you need by using detached profiles - start with your profiles how you want them with them all touching at the ends. Select them and do a Ctrl+C to copy them to the clipboard.

Now draw in 2 lines in the side views near the ends, use Edit > Trim to cut the ends off and now you can use Csec on those cut rails that do not touch at the ends. When you are doing doing csec delete the cut up rails and do Ctrl+V to paste back in the original uncut rails and you should then have the result you want.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
849.14 In reply to 849.13 
Understood, thank you for the workaround, it's working :)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-6  7-14