How to radius 2nd edge

Next
I did this with sweep. Maybe a better way.

I extrude the side profile and get the front edge or sweep the top and bottom profiles and get the side edges but not both.
Side needs to be .05 end needs to be ~.3

Can someone help please

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8478.2 In reply to 8478.1 
Hi Marv, can you please post your 3DM model file here as well so I can take a look at your object?

Instead of sweep it looks like you could use Loft between the 2 profiles, that way you wouldn't need to worry about a path curve. But sweep works too.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8478.3 In reply to 8478.2 
Here is the Moi3d file.
Sorry

ms
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8478.4 In reply to 8478.1 
Hi Marv, well a radius of 0.3 isn't going to fit on the bottom, there isn't enough space there for fillets to go in there without running into each other.

Here's the result of filleting the bottom edges by 0.15 for example:

Any more than about 0.15 units just won't fit there, you can see that at 0.15 the fillets from opposite sides are very nearly running into each other.

Another thing that's probably not good for filleting there is the vertical rounded edge that is of a smaller radius that's already in place. Usually it's best to put in fillets in the order of largest ones first and smaller ones after. So it could be good to make your profiles have all sharp corners instead of having an arc in their corners to start with.

Maybe I have misunderstood what you're trying to do - did you mean a radius of 0.03 on the bottom, not 0.3 ?

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8478.5 In reply to 8478.4 
No filet on the (bottom) curved edge just the top.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
8478.6 In reply to 8478.5 
Hi Marv, I'm not sure if I understand - do you mean you want to fillet only this one piece shown selected here? :

If so it's not really feasible to fillet that edge alone because it would cause the fillet to open up holes in the ends of the fillet, see here for a related example:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=5091.4

It is possible to generate a fillet surface to work with though by using surface/surface filleting instead of edge based filleting. To do that use Edit > Separate on your object to break it up into individual surfaces and select 2 surfaces to fillet. That can generate a fillet surface in situations where edge based filleting will not.

But if you do that here the 0.3 radius fillet is still too large to fit totally inside the available area. You could use it as a cutting surface in boolean difference to make something like this though, is this what you're trying to do? (3DM file also attached):

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All