What has happened to MOI3D on my computer?

Next
Michael,

Hi, it has been a while since I posted but have enjoyed THE fantastic MOI3D since day 1.

I have serious issues. I use MOI3D v3.1 on a MacBook Pro, mid-2014 with Yosemite 10.10.5. I last used MOI in late April '17 without issues - well except for small and vexing issues.

Since that time, the following updates were installed: Apple Security Update, Safari, Remote Desktop Client, iTunes Adobe Flash Player, Adobe Reader, and Stopwatch Deluxe.

Issues: Yesterday, I opened a file from the April session and could not import dxf, eps or pdf, which I have done many times.

I made some changes and saved.

This morning, the modified file does not exist.

Starting over, I opened a file and did a Save As to another folder but, it did not save to the new location. I could drag and drop to the folder but when I opened that file, only the file title appeared in MOI's upper right corner. No drawing.

I trashed the MOI3D v3.1 app and emptied the trash. I downloaded a new copy from your website and installed. No change.

Besides losing yesterday's work (issue deadline: in 2 days) and time, I've spent 2 1/2 hrs today. Total lost time so far: 4 1/2 hrs.

Oh, by the way..... HELP!! please.

Leonard
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8461.2 In reply to 8461.1 
Hi Leonard, is it possible you have any unusual punctuation characters in the folder name that you're trying to save to? Stuff like * / : ' " - those might be confusing things since they aren't allowed in Windows folder names.

What happens if you make a folder with a simple name on your desktop and then save to there?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8461.3 In reply to 8461.2 
Thanks for responding on a Saturday, Michael. I really appreciate it.

No special punctuation. Files created within an open file, using Save As, disappear after being renamed and changes are made. I open files that are mult-Mb large and only the file name appears in MOI; no content appears.

The only difference or change, as I noted, was the upgrading of 4 apps after using MOI in April.

It took some doing, but I came up with a work around this afternoon: with the file open, I selected all and exported as 3dms to another computer. I got my model updated...whew!

We are issuing Monday and will get back to this issue thereafter. I need my MOI!

Any other thoughts you have are welcomed.

Thanks again,

Leonard
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8461.4 In reply to 8461.3 
Michael,

The problem is occurring on the 2nd computer, too. The file I closed about an hour ago will not open. I double click in the directory, when MOI opens, "Path not found" appears. File Info (Command-I) indicates it is opening with Moi v3.1.app. I reset that and no change.

I tried reducing the file name to one word and that didn't work.

From within the app, I use File>Open and the file opens blank with only the title in the upper right corner.

I got my model transferred to VectorWorks before closing the MOI file.

Leonard
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8461.5 In reply to 8461.4 
Hi Leonard,

> From within the app, I use File>Open and the file opens blank with only the title in the upper right corner.

Can you please send the file to me at moi@moi3d.com so I can take a look at it?

Are you sure the file actually has objects in it that MoI can use? It's possible for there to be things like many megabytes of polygon mesh objects in a 3dm file that was saved by Rhino, but that will still show as blank in MoI since MoI doesn't use that type of objects.

> I tried reducing the file name to one word and that didn't work.

What is the name of the folder the file is in, that may have some effect as well not just the name of the file alone.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8461.6 In reply to 8461.5 
Michael, the file, "Island," should have arrived your side. The file was created in MOI. The file's name is Island. Thanks, L.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8461.7 In reply to 8461.6 
Hi Leonard, the file seems to load fine for me both on Windows and on Mac. But most of the stuff in the file is hidden, you'll need to use Edit > Hide to show all the hidden stuff if you want to see the bulk of what's taking up the several MB of file size.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8461.8 In reply to 8461.7 
Hi Michael, I tried the Edit > Hide...no joy. Opening the Objects list shows "No named objects." I always name the objects in a model. The other files I had this experience with are upwards to 10X the size of "Island." –L
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8461.9 In reply to 8461.8 
Hi Leonard well it's very perplexing because I'm able to load your file ok over here and see object names too.

I'll follow up with you more over e-mail to try and track down what's going wrong.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8461.10 In reply to 8461.9 
Thanks, Michael.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
8461.11 In reply to 8461.1 
For anyone else that was following this, it had to do with the .3dm files being in a deeply nested folder hierarchy. Seems like there's some limit in Wineskin on how long the directory path can be. This should be another thing fixed in v4 where Wineskin isn't being used anymore.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All