Create randomized surface texture?

Next
For one of my products, part of a fencing-sword grip, I use a feature of Cura 2.5 called fuzzy surface. What this does is randomize the surface, by randomizing the external layer paths of the .stl, with specifiable frequency and height of the variation. This gives a very desirable grippy surface, comparable to non-skid stair-tread tape.

Unfortunately, the randomization is applied to all external surfaces, and I'd like to be able to only do the randomization on the outside, and not on the surfaces of an inside hole in the piece.

Is there any way of doing this sort of "fuzzy" surface in MOI or selectively applying such a finish to part of the model? I've searched the forum, but didn't find any simple or cost-effective way to do this.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8425.2 In reply to 8425.1 
This kind of high frequency detail is not really suited to nurbs. It might be best to look at sectioning up your STL model so you get the texture only where you want it, and then join the sections back together.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8425.3 In reply to 8425.1 
Hi Rick, unfortunately CAD software like MoI is not designed to make that kind of randomized surface, you would need to do that on polygon data like you've been doing with your STL file. In a polygon modeling program you could apply texture mapping as a displacement texture to do something like that.

You might want to check out 3D Coat or ZBrush.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
With "Random Curves" by Max Smirnov you can make something like that!
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=6837.13

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
8425.5 In reply to 8425.2 
That would be really difficult, as it is the inside and outside of a sort of bottle-shaped piece, but thanks.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All