Export as STEP - repeating Object Names

Next
Hi All,

When exporting to STP file format and reopen in MOI the OBJECT name repeats itself. If the same file is opened in say SOLIDWORKS no repeat cascading name. Is there a way to stop this from happening.

Also any layer colour info seems to be lost in MOI from the exported STP file but this translates ok into SOLIDWORKS.

EDITED: 26 Jan 2020 by ALEXPOLO

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8399.2 In reply to 8399.1 
Hi Alex, sorry no currently there isn't any way of stopping that from happening with STEP export and re-import. The repeating name is something in the STEP library that kicks in when instancing is not being used directly I think. I should be able to investigate it in v4 when I'm working on instancing.

Instead of using STEP format for a direct round trip, it's better to use 3DM format. That's the main file format intended to be used for projects you just want to save and load back into MoI instead of sending to other apps.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Hi Michael,

Thanks for speedy reply figured something along those lines - I currently keep the 3dm file as master but as STP is the transition file to manufacture I some times have the stp file/part isolated and I tidy up the imported name.

But good to know its in the stream for V4.

all the best
Alex.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All