Looking for car modeling tutorials
 1-3  4-23  24-43  44-48

Previous
Next
8386.4 In reply to 8386.3 
As I said, I am a complete newbie to MOI3D and NURBS.

The above responses only further confused me.
And the links did nothing to help me.

If I am understanding the replies correctly...

1) There are no MOI3D car tutorials for MOI3D newbies.

2) Box modeling application like Silo3D is much better suited for car modeling.

Are these assumptions correct?

Also please understand, I am a complete newbie to MOI3D and I would appreciate it if you could communicate in a way someone new to MOI3D could understand...

Again cheers and many thanks...
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8386.5 In reply to 8386.4 
Hi Ken, yes I think that's correct, I'm not aware of any car tutorials for MoI that are geared for total beginners. Since car modeling is a pretty advanced area it's pretty normal that it's something you'd start doing after already gaining experience with MoI on other projects that were easier to do.

You can see from those links that people have done car modeling in MoI but usually not as their first initial foray into NURBS modeling.

Box modeling is probably going to be a better fit for you.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8386.6 In reply to 8386.5 
That's too bad as MOI3D looks like a very capable application and very easy to use. I just can not get my head around how to use MOI3D & NURBS for car modeling. I was hoping this app would work for me. On other forums the buzz seems to be NURBS is much better for car modeling. And tutorials for Rhino, AutoCAD, Skectchup, FormZ and other NURBS apps only confuse me because of the different toolsets.

I think you have a fantastic application...

Cheers & many thanks...

http://kenmo.zenfolio.com/
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8386.7 In reply to 8386.6 
Hi Ken,

re:
> On other forums the buzz seems to be NURBS is much better for car modeling.

It can come down to just personal preference in how you like to do things. With NURBS modeling it's more focused on building things from curves and it's sort of more like you're drawing things directly. Box modeling is more like sculpting where you're squishing stuff around.

With NURBS modeling you can make large sections of the model with a small number of curves so it can be very efficient, that's probably where some of the "buzz" comes from. But a car model is a complex type of object with a lot of shapes blending into each other and so it takes a fair amount of experience and skill to get to where you'd be productive in it for cars.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8386.8 In reply to 8386.7 
Thanks Michael.

I'll try to find a more suitable NURBS modeler. One that has more beginner tutorials, hopefully they are automotive.

The truth of the matter I don't find MOI3D difficult at all. It appears to be very user friendly and quite easy. It's just that I do not know how to begin the process of modelling a car in MOI3D. That's the issue.
Too bad there are no car modeling tutorials aimed at MOI3D beginners (not to be confused with 3D modeling beginners).

I am nearing retirement (within a year) and was hoping car modeling could be my winter hobby as I am no too old to lace on the skates and play hockey. In summer I do photography and have an antique car that I restored in 1983. I also like to do 3D modeling and rendering. As well as dabble in Corel Painter and ArtRage.

Cheers & many thanks..

http://kenmo.zenfolio.com
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
If you want a cool and easy Real Time rendering try the free SimLab Composer Light! (maxi 1920 *1080)
Advantage it accepts any 3D formats! (from Moi take Iges or OBJ)
http://www.simlab-soft.com/3d-products/simlab-composer-freelicensee.php#lite

EDITED: 24 Apr 2017 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8386.10 In reply to 8386.9 
Thanks for the link on SimLab but I am already a registered owner/user of Vue Complete 2017 which I am quite satisfied with...

Here's a hot rod I modeled in Silo3D

Some of the tutorials on Youtube by Samardac of Rocket3F rekindled my interest in Moi3D. Several years ago I tried a demo of Moi3D ver 1 or2 (can't recall).

I am looking at Rocket3F as a replacement for Hexagon3D and Silo3D which seem to be in limbo along with Groboto3D.

Sometimes I will uv map & texture in 3DCoat and render in Vue Complete 2017. Other times I will do a screen capture and paint over in Photoshop, Corel Painter 2017 or ArtRage...

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8386.11 In reply to 8386.10 
I modeled this completely in Groboto3D

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8386.12 In reply to 8386.11 
Hay Kenmo,
As Michael said, MoI is not very good solution to model cars inside it, because of that "Organic" type of objects.
I used to work a lot in MoI but because of that limitation we created Rocket 3F, very simple tool for that kind of organic objects.
So if you love to work in MoI you can use Rocket 3F to create organic objects inside it than send it to MoI in one click. Rocket has bridge for this.
Check this video, (now instaling Bridge it is much more simpler than on video):
https://youtu.be/ZzdAmzCaDZU

I also created some car like yours inside Rocket:

Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8386.13 In reply to 8386.12 
Funny, this is the first forum where I ever heard of automobiles as organic. I mostly hear them referred to as hard surfaces like spaceships, robots, etc...

Cheers Samardac, always appreciate your point of view...
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8386.14 In reply to 8386.13 
Kenmo, I use this word to describe shapes not materials from what they was made, so it can better describe this kind of shapes that is more close to shapes that was made by nature.
I think Hard Surface can be everything from table with flat mechanical parts to Bugatti Veyron with more organic like body shape, because they all hard, metal, wood etc. But it do not give us reference to form.

EDITED: 24 Apr 2017 by ANDREI SAMARDAC

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8386.15 In reply to 8386.8 
You restored a car in 1983!!!! Thats cool. I've never worked on car restoration or done any sheet work or body work, but, i'd like to change your door and hood panels....

What would you tute me on to allow me into your garage with a blow torch, a set of hammers, a metal saw and a bucket of bondo?

I want to cut a hole in the hood and door panels and add some nice, smooth detail. I want to start TOMORROW!!!!

Be right over!!! :o
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8386.16 In reply to 8386.15 
Oh yeah.... andrei is going to meet me there. He's bringing a bucket of clay and some rubber gloves!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8386.17 In reply to 8386.16 
No blow torch required. It's a first generation Vette, a 1960 Chevrolet Corvette. ALL Corvettes since their inception in 1953 have been fiberglass.

A photo of me standing in front of my car about 17 years ago. The black 59 Corvette in the background belongs to the gent who snapped my photo...
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8386.18 In reply to 8386.17 
I love the 60 Vette! I have a 1960 Dodge that's part way rebuilt so far, unfortunately haven't had time to do anything on it for quite a while though.

It's this kind:

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
The old world! ;)
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8386.20 In reply to 8386.17 
Righteous Car! And Nice job on it by the way! Although my first fiberglass work happened around 48 years ago, I don't think you want me working on your beauty! I patched dings in my surfboards!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8386.21 In reply to 8386.18 
Total cruiser Michael! I hope you get to take JG and the rabbit out, with the wind in your hair!!!!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Does it have the old 392 CI FirePower Hemi? My cruising buddy has a 1968 Dodge Charger with a 383 Magnum. Love Mopars...

I modeled this this evening. It's based on an American Racing Salt Flats wheel which American Racing based on the old Halibrand wheel which was popular among hot rodders and racers at Bonneville.

It took me about an hour to model after super. No NHL hockey games scheduled tonight, so I needed something to pass the time.

I have NO idea how I could have modeled this so quickly in Silo3D or Hexagon3D or Wings3D...

MOI3D appears to be super easy....

Reference images

Image Attachments:
Size: 311.9 KB, Downloaded: 13 times, Dimensions: 1000x1000px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
In Rocket3F & Hexagon3D (as well as Silo3D) there appears to be a bit of faceting. Obviously something I'm doing wrong.

In 3D Coat 4.7 with a PBR material applied does not look too bad but not pleased with the 5 bars in the middle of the wheel.

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-3  4-23  24-43  44-48