Looking for car modeling tutorials
 1-17  18-37  38-48

Previous
Next
8386.18 In reply to 8386.17 
I love the 60 Vette! I have a 1960 Dodge that's part way rebuilt so far, unfortunately haven't had time to do anything on it for quite a while though.

It's this kind:

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
The old world! ;)
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8386.20 In reply to 8386.17 
Righteous Car! And Nice job on it by the way! Although my first fiberglass work happened around 48 years ago, I don't think you want me working on your beauty! I patched dings in my surfboards!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8386.21 In reply to 8386.18 
Total cruiser Michael! I hope you get to take JG and the rabbit out, with the wind in your hair!!!!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Does it have the old 392 CI FirePower Hemi? My cruising buddy has a 1968 Dodge Charger with a 383 Magnum. Love Mopars...

I modeled this this evening. It's based on an American Racing Salt Flats wheel which American Racing based on the old Halibrand wheel which was popular among hot rodders and racers at Bonneville.

It took me about an hour to model after super. No NHL hockey games scheduled tonight, so I needed something to pass the time.

I have NO idea how I could have modeled this so quickly in Silo3D or Hexagon3D or Wings3D...

MOI3D appears to be super easy....

Reference images

Image Attachments:
Size: 311.9 KB, Downloaded: 13 times, Dimensions: 1000x1000px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
In Rocket3F & Hexagon3D (as well as Silo3D) there appears to be a bit of faceting. Obviously something I'm doing wrong.

In 3D Coat 4.7 with a PBR material applied does not look too bad but not pleased with the 5 bars in the middle of the wheel.

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8386.24 In reply to 8386.19 
I love the French Delahaye. One of my all time favorite classics along with the Duesenberg, Cord & Auburn....

The first year I had my Corvette, I did not have a garage for our cold Canadian winters....

[img]http://kenmo.zenfolio.com/img/s5/v123/p1082584419-5.jpg[/img]
Image Attachments:
Size: 434.3 KB, Downloaded: 27 times, Dimensions: 1100x716px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8386.25 In reply to 8386.22 
Hi Ken,

re:
> Does it have the old 392 CI FirePower Hemi?

Unfortunately no, mine has the standard 361 from that year. It's not running right now but the engine is rebuilt and ready to go back in and all the bodywork is done and it's ready to be painted. Someday... :)

Your model is great for not much time spent! re: Faceting - that's because it's made of plain polygons and not set up as a sub-d model. When you export out from a CAD program the polygon structure you get won't be suitable for further smoothing like you'd do in a polygon modeling program so in order to get it to look smooth you need to increase the mesh density at export time so it has more polygons in it.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8386.26 In reply to 8386.25 
Thanks kindly. I'll tinker a bit with the export options...
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8386.28 In reply to 8386.27 
Wow...thank you very much...that'll help...

Not a car but here is something I did in a few hours last night after work... It's a sci-fi crane or flying robotic arm. Not sure. Needs detailing and some greebles...

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8386.29 In reply to 8386.28 
A quick render in 3DCoat 4.7 with a PBR material applied

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8386.30 In reply to 8386.29 
Hi Ken, looks like you're getting the hang of it quite quickly!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8386.31 In reply to 8386.30 
It certainly is a different approach to modeling then I'm used to. BUT it's one of the easiest 3D apps I've ever used. Just not very familiar with some of the technical terms when it comes to NURBS or CAD.

In the 2D world I've tried CorelDraw, Inkscape & Illustrator but found vectors too confusing. But oddly I find your NURBS app very easy to move around in. And surprisingly very quick to get something visualized.

Cheers

Ken
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8386.32 In reply to 8386.29 
Hi KENMO!

Very nice!

I'm a big fun of Moi + 3D-Coat ( + Rocket3F). Great workflow and very good results!

See you.

- Marco (mkdm)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi KENMO
I also use Moi, 3d coat and Rocket and agree with Marco that they are a good combination. I'm also an amateur that started later in life. I have made a few vehicles with Moi but its not always easy. There are various approaches to take. Lofting using LOOSE and EXACT can create smooth organic shapes. There is also a subd script that will allow you to make car body shapes. Finally there is the option of blending and networking which, to me, seem to offer the best results it is difficult to visualise how to create the edges to network. I'm no expert but have managed to make a few half decent models using Moi so its certainty possible. Maybe if a few of us attempted to model the same car we could learn from each other?
Best wishes
Keith

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8386.34 In reply to 8386.33 
Nice 1930's era car....

I've not had as much free time to play with MOI3D as I would like. Spring yard work, flu bug, watching too much NHL hockey playoffs (been a fan of the St Louis Blues since 1968, they break my heart every spring) and work...

Here's a little update to my crane... Not had a chance to start a car yet...and my trial is running out soon. If only our Canadian dollar was not at an all time low, I'd bit the bullet and purchase MOI3D...But currently $299 USA = $411 Canadian.

This is the most intuitive 3D app I've ever used. I've tried Blender3D, Nvil, Truespace and ZBrush and found their UI's very awkward.

I love the user interface of MOI3D. I thought Silo3D was the cat's meow but MOI3D is much better. Rocket3F is also another app with a fantastic UI.

MOI3D is like sketching on paper with a pencil...

I think MOI3D complimented with Silo3D or Rocket3F, 3DCoat and Vue Complete would be an awesome combination....
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Kenmo,
Before I tried MoI3D I have used Microstation (more architectural/GIS driven but with a great 3d engine) and Rhinocerous in the past and was familiar with MoI almost as soon as I started to use it. There are some videos showing how to build parts for a Ferrari that I watched and followed which helped immensely. After that I started working on a Fiat500 in Silo (my go to program for almost everything) but decided to do it in MoI instead.

Here's the link to the post in this forum: http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI

The tires and suspension were imported from another program and modeled by someone else while the wheels and the car body was done in MoI3D. It was a great deal of fun and allowed me to 'modify' the car styling (body lines, grille, etc.) easily. There were several attempts to work out how best to build it but once a feeling for the tools and the work flow started to become somewhat intuitive things moved along rather quickly. I attached the line work for this car in the post (there may be some lines missing...). It might help.

I realize this is not an overly complex vehicle to model and some of the details are left out or not quite right. However, I found it easier to model this thing in MoI than the vehicles I have modeled in Silo such as this one: https://makit3d.artstation.com/projects/yEgAR.
Image Attachments:
Size: 144.2 KB, Downloaded: 41 times, Dimensions: 1415x823px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8386.36 In reply to 8386.35 
Very kind of you to share... Many thanks & I'll certainly take a look at your tutorial....

Cheers

Ken

PS: Just tried your link http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI

And it's not working....
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
My 30 trial expired several weeks ago. And I must admit I love this modeling app very much.

Before I purchase I would like to ask a few questions...

I downloaded a few free car models from Grabcad and when I was exporting them from MOI3D as an OBJ, I frequently got an error message that I was out of memory. My computer has 32 gbs of DDR3 memory. Goggling seem to indicate this maybe a problem with 32bit apps. Will the next version of MOI3D be 64bit? Exporting each car part as a separate object seemed to be a work around.

When is version 4 of MOI3D going to be released?

Will MOI3D in the future have the ability to import Sketchup models?

I noticed when I brought my MOI3D models as OBJs into Hexagon or Silo3D subdividing models to achieve smoothing did smooth the objects.

Again many thanks...

Ken
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-17  18-37  38-48