First try...

Next
Here is a first try to model something with MoI. It is addictive, indeed! : - )

The sugar pot has been made by cutting to half the tea cup and mirroring it in Wings 3D. The unification of the two halves did not happen -despite all my tries- in MoI (I do not know why). The renderings have been made with Blender's Cycles renderer.

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8379.2 In reply to 8379.1 
Hi Dimitri, great result on your first try!

re:
> The unification of the two halves did not happen -despite all my tries- in MoI (I do not know why).

Part of the process of doing booleans is that the objects are intersected with each other to generate intersection curves. If the objects just barely skim over some nearly overlapping surface area it can be difficult to get well formed intersections. It tends to be better to have objects push through each other somewhat rather than just barely skim each other.

Another thing you can do to see why a boolean isn't working well is to generate the intersection curves by themselves by using the Construct > Curve > Isect command. In order to be booleaned those intersection curves should make closed loops. If the intersection result looks all messy and complex then that's the problem.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
What a cup of tea!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8379.4 In reply to 8379.1 
Exceptional result for a first time ... My first efforts were abysmal :)

Martin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Nice work!!

Spoons are not so easy to model !!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thanks all for the comments!

Michael... is there not, in MoI, some way of unifying mirroring? That's to say a way of cutting an object to half and than mirroring it so that to have a new single object? Such a thing would be very helpful because booleans could not be useful in modeling tasks as this here. If I would try booleans by intersecting the two halves -even very slightly- there would not be consistency on the whole structure of the resulting object.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hobnail Carnival glass has similar bumps.
- Brian
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8379.8 In reply to 8379.1 
Hi Dimitri!

Great results for a "first try" :)

Thanks for sharing.

- Marco (mkdm)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8379.9 In reply to 8379.6 
Hi Dimitri, sorry when you talked about the boolean I was thinking you were talking about booleaning the lid onto the body, I guess because those looked like the 2 objects that were touching each other in the rendering. When you have a question about how something is behaving it can help a lot if you post the 3DM model file instead of only screenshots or renderings, it helps a lot to clarify things when I'm able to examine the actual model.

So for the boolean I should have described a bit more - if 2 objects like 2 mirrored halves are very precisely aligned along a common plane where they touch then usually that can be booleaned. If they're at a very slight angle to each other that can be a problem though. If you can post your 3DM model file I can try to inspect it closely and I might be able to give you some better information on what's going on there.

It is also possible to unify a mirrored object by using the Edit > Join command instead of booleans. That can be successful in cases where booleans fail because the Join command only tries to glue unattached edges to each other, it does not try to do any intersections between the objects like booleans will do. So to use that method you would delete any plane running down the mirror line first so that the object had open edges there that were not already joined between 2 surfaces. Then after the mirror using Edit > Join will glue those together into a unified object.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Very awesome -- !
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Thanks all, again, for the so constructive comments!

Martin... it was not easy to have good results at first for me too... I had to pass many hours studying carefully Chipp Walter's -and other peoples' too- tutorials in Youtube. : - )))

Michael... thanks a lot for your so instructive comments. The hint about joining the two halves -by having empty the faces to be 'glued' and using the 'join' command- works. I tried it and it is ok. Some such hints are extremely important for understanding the way the app works.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All